Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just finished reading the entire book which is 126 pages long and I'll offer my review for those wondering if its worth the money. For copywrite purposes I will not quote text or post pictures.

I can't believe Sean was so detailed in the engine building aspects. For so long he has been guarded about these specs. I remember being up at SHM back when he was in his old building (while I was waiting for my car) and hearing people call Sean about engine specs and he would tell the person on the other end to purchase a Ford service manual. All that has changed. This book is a very pleasant suprise to see so much useful knowledge when it comes to engine building.

Anyway heres some of the highlights that "I" found to be extremely usefully in this book. Most of these areas have extremely detailed pictures that go with the text.

Differences in all year GT and Cobra engine blocks
Proper align honing procedures.
Proper cylinder bore honing procedures.
Block prep
Deck surfacing
Sleeving
Bearing and clearances
Race only block and crank preps
Piston and rod selection
Lubrication system
Cooling modifications
Compression ratio charts for all year engines
Detailed illustrations of ring packages
Detailed discussion about all year cylinder heads with a ton of pictures and illustrations.
Flow numbers for all year cylinder heads.
Valvetrain discussion
Stock Intake and exhaust port moldings
How to degree camshafts for 2 and 4 valve engines. Tons of pictures with text follow.
Examples of modified intake choices for all types of intakes.

Theres much more but thats what I can remember without referring to the boo.

Sean also talks about other areas for novice people like offering successful packages for every possible engine combination whether it be n/a, supercharged, or blown.

Sean also talks about ignitions, electronics, stand alones, a complete guide to power adders, flow numbers for power adders etc.

Sean then finishes the book with a 10 page guide on how to build a 405 hp cobra engine complete with dyno numbers.

The book is a must have for everyone. The book is written in a manner where there is no ego or attitude. Sean simply shares his experience and knowledge of what he believes works and what doesnt. He also is kind enough to share in experiments that he tried that didn't work out as well as indeded.

Whether or not you plan on rebuilding your own engine, having the proper knowledge to make educated decisions is very important no matter who does the work. There are at least a few million dollars of R&D that went into the knowledge and experience that this book was written. Not to mention the time and effort it took to document everything and take pictures of engine building. Having built 200 engines a year for 5 years means that Sean has learned a lot building 1000 engines. Everyone know can tap from this knowledge to build better engines.

I recommend getting the book from Cartechbooks because they have the book in stock and you might have to wait while other suppliers catch up.

Go to www.cartechbooks.com or 1-800-551-4754

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sounds like a good book. The kinda book I'm looking for is like a service manual except not as detailed. But it performance oriented with bolt on mods. Like for example, how to install upper and lower control arms, tips and tricks to installing stuff really. How to install a bullit intake, how to install aftermarket fuel rails, and such.

Is there a book like that out there.

Josh

·
Registered
582 Posts
I'm sure it's a good book but how much is Hyland slipping to ya to do this? Jeez, this is the fourth site I've seen this on and still haven't found the tech in it. :confused:

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm Sean Hyland has a outrageous price on the book, like the rest of his stuff. My friend paid $1200 for long tube headers from him. Can you believe that.

Josh

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
mine is on the way, i ordered it before i even heard about it on here. ha! weird, but the place i bought it from was sold out and didnt get new stuff till monday 16th, so ill be waiting another week or so

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sean Hyland hasn't paid me a dime or compensated me in any way to post any review of the book. Also FYI: Sean Hyland does not sponsor my race car nor give me any price breaks on service. I have all the bills from my engine rebuilds and I can prove to anyone that I pay the same prices as everyone else does.

My intentions are that if someone has the guts to detail many of his own R&D accomulated over a 5 year period of time to help performance owners than it should be promoted the best possible.

Please note that the book is avaiable at SHM, but I recommended CARTECH, whom is the publisher of the book, the site to purchase it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Mine is being shipped to me as we speak..........
Dave

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks Dave,
I've been looking for a good book to come out on the 4.6 for a while. I've had the blower on the 97 gt since 19,000 miles.
I just haven't ever gotten the tune right and I look forward to reading what Sean has to say. I just ordered my copy tonight.

Thanks again,
Marc

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Thanks for the review! 17 bucks sounds pretty cheap to me.....
Erich

·
Registered
144 Posts
damn...I placed my order with amazon before it was even released and the bastards haven't gotten it to me yet.
Later,
John

·
Registered
7,628 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the review! I pre-paid at amazon.com just like Gator did around Xmas time... STILL WAITING on the book to show up!

Later,

SOHC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts