Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been really contemplating swaping my AOD for a 5 speed. I've never had anything other then automatic mustangs. I'm looking for a web site describing how exactially it works.

Also, I was hoping to find one at the junk yard, they go for $50 and rebuild it myself. I obviously have never done this before, but have little fear of doing it with proper instruction. That is depending on the complexity of it.

I can always search on-line myself, but considering how much inaccurate information is available I'd like to see what you guys say and hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

So I'm looking for information regarding the differences in t-5 Trannies, how they work, how to rebuild one, and possible pitfalls.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
You'll need to relocate the speed cable (no biggy), swap out the pedal assembly (not fun, take a few hours work), clutch and flywheel of course, shifter, shifter boot, plate, etc. and some other stuff :)

I'm slowly doing this myself, and I should have an extra pedal assembly this or next week I can sale ya if you need it :)

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I helped do the swap last year. A couple things made the job easier for me 1) I had a friend with a mildly wrecked donor car to get everything from & see in advance everything as it was origionally installed before removal. 2) I purchased a heavy duty clutch setup, adj. clutch cable & quadrant, trans mount & poly crossmember bushings, pilot bushing, etc so there would be no issues trying to get worn parts to work. 3)I did some research in my MM&FF magazine issues & found an excellent step by step instructional artical that included pretty good pictures. 4) I made friends with a "like-minded" local fox-body car nut. I saw him waxing his ride one day & I just stopped by to introduce myself. he not only had done the swap himself; he was the friend that sold me everything from his wrecked GT for $300.00! There probably are alot of nice Mustanger's nearby that are as much of a gearhead as yourself. Go to the local car shows, drag strips, & swapmeets to meet more of them there too. Good luck........

·
Registered
536 Posts
wcfords.com/articles/tech/t5swap/t5swap.html
Im doint the same swap except dropping in a 5.0 w/ it:) Im getting it all from a donor car for the complete swap.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I did this over Christmas break, cost me about $300 total. Here's a suggestion for ya - get an adjustable clutch quadrant and INSTALL IT BEFORE YOU PUT THE PEDALS IN. I can't stress this enough - HUGE pain in the ass doing it in the car. Here's a good site for the swap - it's mostly 2.3-oriented, but enough should cross over to give you a good idea. http://projecthp.ford23.com/howto.html Helped me a lot. Another good tip - find a friend who works at a shop. My buddy is a VW tech so he let me use his lift and tools and helped me out - couldn't've done it without him. :D Good luck!

Ash

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fast90LXStang: I'm deffinitially interested in that pedal assembly. Do I just have to add the clutch peddle or do I have to change the brake pedel also? I was hoping to do the pedal assembly like a weekend before i do the swap.

thanks for the website 03BlackWidow, very informative and with pictures.

One thing not answered was the level of complexity of rebuilding the tranny. Is their a good book on this?

Also, I know their are differences between 4 cyl T5's and 8 cyl T5's but can this be fixed during the rebuild process? I mean, I can get T5's from 4 bangers all day long for $50 at the local junk yard, and get everything else.

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts