Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got custom subframes put in, and now, sometimes when I take off, the car seems to "burp" That is just what it soulds like, sorry if that is not good enough. It also vibrates a little when this happens. There is also a vibration at around 2300 RPM sometimes, but it is really breif. Is this common? Did this guy do something wrong? Thanks!
oh, there is also a custom driveshaft loop. Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sub-frame connectors tighten up your chasis. This puts more strain on the rest of your suspension so check for problems or something loose in the rest of your suspension.
Ensure the control arms, shocks/struts, and everything else is nice and tight. Get out the torque wrench and check everything. Also make sure everything is greased properly.

You may have some typical problems like tires out of balance, etc. that are just now showing up (although they wouldn't burp). When you tighten up the chasis with connectors, you start to notice other things that were there, but absorbed by the flex the chasis used to have. You may be putting pressure on some suspension parts and 'burping' grease or popping bushings so double-check all the rubber/urethane suspension parts.

Make sure you have lots of clearance for the driveshaft inside the safety loop. The driveshaft needs lots of room to move around when you take off, hit bumps, start up steep inclines, etc.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
They could have been welded on with a preload on the chassis. You should weld them on with the weight of the car on the wheels only, and of course flat. If you don't, you can twist the frame slightly and the subframes are then welded in holding the car permanently twisted. The biggest problem from this is probably alignment of other items, such as door latches, trunk, etc. Not sure where your noise would come from, maybe something rubbing that shouldn't be, like a dor that's now a little cocked?

Billy

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The car is making less noise now, so I think that the suspension is sorting itself out. I am gonno look underneath soon and see what it looks like down there, bushings and all. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts