Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am currently in the middle of building my first stroker motor. I have the block off to the machine shop and I am ordering my kit but I have never driven a 331 stroker nor have I ever been in a 331 stroker. I have been in a 347 stroker and i know they are similar but I don't know the specifics of his build.

I tried looking for a post that is close to what i am asking and i found some but not exactly. I have noticed everyone says to build the stroker for what you want out of it. Well I have done some research on parts and I have put together the main components for the build but I want your opinions on if these components work well together!?!? Thanks in advanced for your time!
I will be using this engine to put into a classic 62 ford pickup that i will be using just for weekends and hit the strip a couple times a year.

-Block: 1997 Explorer 5.0
-331 Kit: Scat Street/Strip 331, flat top wiseco forged pistons, scat crank 3.250, 4.030 bore, scat I-beam rods
-CAM: custom hydraulic Roller Cam from ADP (Brian)
-Heads: AFR SBF 185 (600 or 640 lift??, 58cc or 72cc chamber size?? what are the benefits and disadvantages of these??)
-Intake: Edlebrock RPM Air-Gap (im going carbureted not EFI)
-Carb: Holley Street HP 650CFM

let me know what your thoughts are please and any advise on any changes you would make.
I do not want to supercharge or turbo it yet at this point. maybe down the road.

Thanks,
Corey

· Registered
235 Posts
Welcome to the forum of a thousand different opinions and ideas. Navigate wisely and with caution!!

Scat > Eagle.
If you plan on boosting the engine strive for 9.5:1 CR area, if staying NA, 11.5:1 CR area.
Valve spring depends on valve lift, AFR heads support .600+" of lift, so if they were mine I would take advantage of the upgraded valve springs and get a higher lift cam.
I would also look into a 750 carb over a 650 for a 331" with good heads.

· Registered
41 Posts
Corey your Combo sounds good. But let me make a suggestion, now this is just mine. But I would just buy some AFR 195s/205s. This way if you ever want to upgrade you already have the head. Use the 58cc! Keep compression pump friendly and this combo will run good.

· Registered
555 Posts
Scat over eagle for sure. And if your dead set on AFR heads I'd buy them from woody @ fordstrokers cuz they come with the upgraded 8019 valve springs. Either way I'd go with 58cc and if you plan on doing boost then get dish pistons

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. I do not plan on boosting my engine right now...maybe in the future but at that point i will get new dished pistons if i choose go that route later on.

Two questions i am still looking for some information on are, for the heads it is asking me if i want 600 lift or 640 lift, which do I want for a street car, i want even torque, good low end, good mid, and good high rpm, so dont i want less lift but for longer time, isnt that cam shaft stuff? please help!

second question, is for snakebite90, whats the difference betwen the 8017 and 8019 springs, is that the difference in the lift because on adperformance.com they offer the two different lifts, a little more $ for the 640 lift.

Thanks, let me know!

· Registered
555 Posts
Thanks everyone. I do not plan on boosting my engine right now...maybe in the future but at that point i will get new dished pistons if i choose go that route later on.

Two questions i am still looking for some information on are, for the heads it is asking me if i want 600 lift or 640 lift, which do I want for a street car, i want even torque, good low end, good mid, and good high rpm, so dont i want less lift but for longer time, isnt that cam shaft stuff? please help!

second question, is for snakebite90, whats the difference betwen the 8017 and 8019 springs, is that the difference in the lift because on adperformance.com they offer the two different lifts, a little more $ for the 640 lift.

Thanks, let me know!

The 8019 have more seat and open pressure so they will handle a more aggressive cam without valve float. I was looking at adperformance website and it looks like they come with 8017 but you have the option to upgrade to the .650 lift springs which are the 8019. It's worth the extra $75 or so in my opinion.

· Registered
456 Posts
I would talk to your cam guy about the valve spring setup, without cam info, advice is a guess, at best.

What's the weight of the truck, auto or stick, planned rpm's? Those things will play into what carb to go with . For my 347 a 650 MS worked excellent and unless it's going to turn some serious rpm's I wouldn't go any bigger. If it's a heavy vehicle with an auto a vacuum secondary might work better for what you're doing.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would talk to your cam guy about the valve spring setup, without cam info, advice is a guess, at best.

What's the weight of the truck, auto or stick, planned rpm's? Those things will play into what carb to go with . For my 347 a 650 MS worked excellent and unless it's going to turn some serious rpm's I wouldn't go any bigger. If it's a heavy vehicle with an auto a vacuum secondary might work better for what you're doing.
weight of vehicle i dont know yet, i dont have a vehicle yet but I could probably get a estimate because i know what im looking for, a 62/63 f100 short bed. Planned rpms are going ot be normal rpms, mostly going to be a street car with a couple passes a year maybe. so 6000 im assuming to be the max. I dont plan on going any bigger than the 650, and I have worked on holleys before so thats why I have that one chosen right now.

Thanks!

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 8019 have more seat and open pressure so they will handle a more aggressive cam without valve float. I was looking at adperformance website and it looks like they come with 8017 but you have the option to upgrade to the .650 lift springs which are the 8019. It's worth the extra $75 or so in my opinion.
Thanks. Ya sounds like the 8019 would be nice, im waiting to hear from adperformance, i have called many times and it ends up going to voicemail.

If they are out of business where else is a good place for parts that people suggest?

thanks!

· Registered
555 Posts
Thanks. Ya sounds like the 8019 would be nice, im waiting to hear from adperformance, i have called many times and it ends up going to voicemail.

If they are out of business where else is a good place for parts that people suggest?

thanks!

They are in business. I talk to Brian a few weeks back, best way to get a hold of him is email tho. You can also get a hold of woody at fordstrokers.com or send him message on here he goes by strokeme, very reputable guy in the sbf community and can also set you all up.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are in business. I talk to Brian a few weeks back, best way to get a hold of him is email tho. You can also get a hold of woody at fordstrokers.com or send him message on here he goes by strokeme, very reputable guy in the sbf community and can also set you all up.
OK, thanks ill try sending him an email before I look elsewhere. appreciate it

· Registered
199 Posts
I like to reverse the position of the pistons.
Install them with the notch pointed toward the REAR and not the front. Since the piston pin is offset.... by reversing the pistons it gives a better rod angle in relation to the crankshaft pin. Pick up maybe 10-20 FREE horsepower.
As far as custom cams I had good results with Delta Cams in Tacoma, Wash. (your results may vary) Howard...Comp...most all the cam companys will custom grind for you if you tell them what you want..and all the particulairs of your build.
I like'm kinda snotty acting so I would suggest 230-ish/236-ish @050 on the duration and a tight LSA around 108*. All the lift you can safely get without piston to valve interference.
Get compression up to 9.5 or 10:1 with either Alum. heads Small chambers will be required. 3.73:1 gears would work super in the little truck. Get a T-5 for decent gas mileage
Should give pretty brutal acceleration and massive tire spin/smoke. (That IS what its all about,right?!)
6sally6

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.