Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well just got off the phone with the machine shop and asked how far along they were with the 302 and all they had done was bored it but no hone,so being the money situation is pretty good right now i went ahead and told them to get the stroker kit.

hopfully we will see some 10's this fall..

·
Registered
284 Posts
Awesome!

Are you going to make any changes to your combo? Just curious. I would love to see what it would do with your current set-up just for the sake of research, but you will undoubtedly want to make some changes to take advantage of the added cubes.

Randy

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
randyb...combo will be changing,in a way i would love to try it with the p heads but they are going to be sold in the next couple of weeks when i finish the port work.

i have already gotten afr 185's that i will be doing some port work on and i will be running a roush intake that i picked up already.headers will be bassani step headers and im going to try two diffrent cams.

also i will be adding the p/s and a/c back to the car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds good!

Which Roush intake? The EFI one?

I think you would get thrown off the Corral for putting GT-40P heads on a 347, so it's just as well! :) The 185's are a perfect choice for a 347, IMHO. Are you tempted to try the RPM with that?

Randy

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
what is the roush intake?

I was curious of a few things- what size/brand headers were you running? how advantageous do you think the rpm is over the performer on your old setup?

I'm trtying to get mine were your was, I got 109 out of it w/chassis issues(bog or spiiiiiiin)then it blew up, I'm also 200lbs heavier, but my car is prepped somewhat similar, just alt, and water pump, but it now sports a c4w/3800stall,3.73's(have spray also), I ported everything myself, twice, my performer is heavily ported, but I wonder if it would be worth it to get and rpm, port it, or get a holley(would be stuff w/no porting,masybe the lower)

the rpm makes the most sense cuz I wouldn't have to tear into the motor and I already have 30hrs+ into my lower alone, also (to get the holley)the car would be down cuz I'd have to sell the performer for$300(ears broke off and rewelded so hurt value despite of port work)(holley is$600or rpm upper only-$300(cost me$300 either way, give or take gaskets))

hm........

btw I shift at 5900 on monster tach, about 6600 on stock tach(Ibeleive same as you)

good luck w/347, those are my plans for next winter, but my 308 is fresh(400miles,lol)but was a cheap put together to get it going, if it runs hard, I'm thinking about a used strim and bumping the n2o down to about 40or50(as acoolant)

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its thr roush intake that looks real similar to what the c5r race corvettes use with the two plenums.

i have mac 1 5/8 headers right now but will be running 1 3/4 to 1 7/8 step headers.

im going to hold onto the performer rpm just incase the roush doesnt work but if it doesnt id rather have the holley.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Congrats! My 347 just turned into a boat anchor!

Buyer beware... use GOOD valve springs! Broken valve springs and internal moving parts do not mix well!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wow, that's something I've never thought of before, a Roush intake.

I remember seeing those in the ads for the Roush Mustangs a few years back. They were supposed to add like 50hp to a 5liter.
If that's true what would it do on a well thought 347?

That would be very interesting, if you got great results from it then I'm sure many people on here would be selling their intakes. I know I would.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the intakes real nice,has a lot of runner volume and is about 10'' long (havent actually measured it yet).cam has 248 degrees of duration so i figure a shift rpm of about 6500 to 6700 should work well with this intake.

the nice thing about it is that all runners are identical.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Can you post a pic or link to more info about the Roush intake? I've never seen/heard of one. Thanks. Nice times btw. I'd like to see your car at the track sometime. Later!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lincoln....absolutely n/a,wouldnt have it any other way.

eric....i have no way to post pictures but there is a link somewhere that shows pictures.best way i know how to describe it is there is a plenum over each valve cover and each plenum feeds the 4 runner underneath it(makes a u-turn to the cylinder head)then there is a cross over at the front of each plenum for the tbody to feed the plenums.tbody faces backward to the cowl so a bent pipe will have to be used to connect to mass air.runner volume is similar to a holley i would say but a little shorter.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I also have the Roush intake on my 90 coupe, but I have a blower. I picked up 30RWHP with the Roush intake over the stock intake. I was very pleased since I have not seen that large of an increase with most other intakes.
If you would like to see some pictures check out my website. I will try and post some pictures later.

Jim

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
griggsp51....i have a couple questions if you dont mind..

what throttle cable did you use?

did you have to mess with the injector harness or will the 87-93 harness work being mine is 89 model?

did the speedo cable interfeir with the intake by the firewall?

any other things i will have to adress?

·
Registered
400 Posts
(what throttle cable did you use?)
I used a 94-95 throttle cable and the piece off the Roush T--Body that it hooks to.

(did you have to mess with the injector harness or will the 87-93 harness work being mine is 89 model?)
Yes it will work but you will need to extend a few plugs like the ACT that I located in the powerpipe because there is no place on the intake for it. The 94-95 cars put it in the air filter.

did the speedo cable interfeir with the intake by the firewall?
No I have the stock speedo cable.

any other things i will have to adress?
Their is a host of other things so I will try and make a list and post them later.

Jim

·
Registered
400 Posts
Here are a few things you will need to address when installing the Roush intake in a FOX.

1) You need to use a cut off wheel on the A/C accumulator mount. This is the stud that sticks out of the firewall and the A/C accumulator bolts to it. Cut off the stud and grind it down as much as possible. This will give clearance for the vacuum lines on the back of the intake. Also screw the two vacuum fittings in as far as they can go to gain enough clearance.

2) You will need to get a Fuel Pressure Regulator for a SN95 car because the fuel rail is different than a FOX.

3) You will need to modify the fuel lines since the Roush rail comes out side for an SN95 car. The stock steel lines are easy to bend just be very careful and don't tweak them too much in any one place.

4) You will need to grind the back edge of the TFO module so it doesn't interfere with the intake. This is because the SN95 cars have the TFI module on the fender.

5) I have still not got the cruise control cable hooked op but when I do I will let you know how I did it.

6) You are going to need another SN95 valve cover if you are installing the Roush intake on a Fox since they only give you one and the FOX valve covers are to big. Remember you need to get a passenger side valve cover without the oil fill tube.

7) You will need the SN94/95 throttle cable and the bracket.

I think that's about it, but if I think of anything else I will let you know. Also if you are going N/A you will need to extend the MAF harness so it will reach to the middle of the intake where the MAF is relocated.

Good Luck,

Jim

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
griggsp51....thanks for the info it will be used.i wont be installing it for a couple months because im waiting for the short block from the machine shop.when i start i may be asking some more questions

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sweet - 10's NA should be *kinda* cool. :joy:

Let me know when you get those heads done, I'm not in a rush at all, but as soon as they go on....the hunt for my own 11 second slip begins! :eek:

Once you get it together, I wanna hear that cam, YIKES!

·
Registered
623 Posts
also thinking of stroking my 302 to a 347. Just for my information, what will be your combo. I want to get mine started this winter, but would like to know all the horror stories b4 getting my wallet out. I want to be able to use my current setup when I stroke it. What kind of $$ should I expect to spend? From your experience what else do you have to do when stroking a 302. I will be doing most of the labor myself, except the block bore/hone. Any and all information is welcome. Oh, the most important question: What kind of HP gains are experienced?????

1 - 19 of 19 Posts