Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally did it! I made it out to Norwalk and ran Factory Stock. I had plans to wait until I had my dedicated 308 completed for this but I just couldn't make it happen in time and instead of waiting yet another year I just ran the stock Explorer LB you see in my sig.

The guys in FS and CS are all outstanding guys who make you feel very welcome, and will help out in any way needed. I just can't say enough about the racer's positive attitudes out there!

Anyway, I know you don't want to read a bunch so I'll just say I had a rough time getting the car to come out of the hole which is abnormal for me at the local tracks. I know it wasn't in the track as I literally would sit there and watch the guy before me stand it up on the rear, or hook so hard the rear blew out :eek: My best time of the weekend came in the un-official TNT session when I had a decent 60ft and went 12.02. I bested a 12.118 during qualifying placing me just .015 behind the 9th qualifier and ended on a 1st round elimination of 12.14 vs veteran FS racer Louis Sylvester Jr who qualified 5th. My mph was also down considerably but I'll attribute that to the 1st firing of the car on the spec VP C10 coming on the day prior to leaving, so I had absolutely no time to get it dialed in on the stuff.

Ok, I'll shut up, here's the vids.....

1st round eliminations..

2nd round of qualifying..

3rd round qualifying..

1st round qualifying..

Attachments

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Nice car, and good memories. I raced at Norwalk off and on since the 1970's, and at Detroit DW before that. It's really sweet seeing that track, what a fun place with NICE people.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You Tom! This weekend generated some great memories for myself to look back upon one day. That's usually the way it goes at these events for me.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Thank You Tom! This weekend generated some great memories for myself to look back upon one day. That's usually the way it goes at these events for me.
That is what is really important. Too many people miss that point, and take racing too serious or personal. As I look back at my life, the best times are independent of winning or losing. It is making new friends, helping people, and having a good time.

One mistake I made is not taking or saving many pictures. That is what I regret most. I'll be up that way next week working. I planned on taking my car, but it looks like all the work stuff is going to require a U-Haul behind my truck.

Tom

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Congrats for stepping up and participating!
I'd love to hear about that 308.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is what is really important. Too many people miss that point, and take racing too serious or personal. As I look back at my life, the best times are independent of winning or losing. It is making new friends, helping people, and having a good time.

One mistake I made is not taking or saving many pictures. That is what I regret most. I'll be up that way next week working. I planned on taking my car, but it looks like all the work stuff is going to require a U-Haul behind my truck.

Tom
Don't get me wrong, I take racing very seriously and can be extremely competitive when it comes to anything but I also look forward to the time when the racing is done for the day and the "socializing" can begin :)

I've never had a problem with not taking pictures. I've got gigs, and gigs of pictures, and I've even got a ton of those ones where you used to have to have developed and printed at the store too ;) I've usually got my camera, and or video camera very near me and am a picture junky!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
It's always good to hear when someone has fun... Can't say the same here though. Went to a grudge fest at Etown an everyone was either uptight or looked at you like you where trying to steal their stuff

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's always good to hear when someone has fun... Can't say the same here though. Went to a grudge fest at Etown an everyone was either uptight or looked at you like you where trying to steal their stuff
Yea, that's no fun at all! Bummer.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts

Norwalk was always a great track. In the early days it took on the personality of Bill Bader, who is one of the nicest people you could ever find anywhere. Too bad every state doesn't have a Norwalk.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Yea Nj needs a Norwalk ASAP lol

·
Jersey True Street Guy
3,195 Posts
I just got the flyer for the "ford show and go" at etown.

All bracket racing.

Sucks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
613 Posts
Congrats on getting out. It's a great class and I had a lot of fun running it. Get ready to work your butt off :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats on getting out. It's a great class and I had a lot of fun running it. Get ready to work your butt off :)
Thanks man! I did hear talk about needing to get you back out there since it was too calm and quiet though. I couldn't understand where that would come from :rofl:

·
Registered
253 Posts
love that Factory Stock class! It was my first NMRA event and wow was I impressed! Makes me wonder, HOW THE F are you guys gettin those cars to run high 10's to 12 flat?!!!! IDK what the hell im doin wrong lol it was awesome seeing ur car running tho Chris!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Cool, sounds like a lot of fun. I like NMRA's classes, but the NMRA does not come down here often enough to build a car for one of their classes. It would be cool if they had a north and a south division of NMRA and run a lot more races in the southern half of the country and farther west. Most of their current races are close to the east coast, If they are in the south. Then at the end of the season run the top guys from the north and south against each other. I know that will not happen, but it would be cool.
Many of the guys that I know of in Texas or near Texas, who had cars built for heads up classes, have sold them. Because there has been very close to no races down here for a while. I just heard about some races that are being held around Houston, that started up recently. There were a lot of true 10.5 class cars around the area six years ago, but I don't know of anyone who has one right now. There are probably a few around, I just have not seen them run, since there has not been any races around this area for a while. There has never been any classes around this area for near stock cars. It would be cool, but it won't happen around here. The local promoter, goes off of the moto of go big or go home. He would rather not have any racing, if the cars are not 2000 hp big tire cars.

You have to start somewhere. You took the jump and entered a class, where you knew the top cars were a lot faster than your car, but you still entered, went out there and gave it your best. Not a bad start, I hope you can have the car in the middle of the pack within a season or two.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts