Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 97 Explorer AWD 5.0 that I would like to modify. Are the Mustang Cobra 5.0 parts interchangable w/ my engine? Also, would there be alot of modifications involved to put a Mustang Twin Turbo Kit into this EX?? I would prefer Turbo over Supercharging!:confused:

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
timmiejoe said:
I just picked up a 97 Explorer AWD 5.0 that I would like to modify. Are the Mustang Cobra 5.0 parts interchangable w/ my engine?
It already has a intake which is very similar to the Mustang Cobra and also has GT-40 heads which came on the 5.0 cobra. It also has a 65mm TB which is bigger than standard mustang 60mm TB's.

The cam is what kills power. Toss in a good cam, 24# injectors with calibrated mass air meter and a good exhaust and you will basically have a Mustang Cobra engine with some good power.

You can twin turbo a 5.0, but bolt on kits are like $6000..and they don;t have one for an explorer. You would have to go the junkyard route and make a TT kit and then you would want to know what you are doing

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5.0 cam recommendation

Thanks Mike!! What cam would you recommend for the Stock 5.0 Ex if I put the twin turbo set up on it?? I'm mainly trying to pull better street performance & more horses out of the paultry stock 210 hp motor. Would it also help to go w/ aluminum GT 40 Heads & which would you suggest??
Thanks Again, Tim

·
Registered
35,615 Posts
Tim - some of the aluminum heads flow better than the GT40's (or P's, not sure which the Explorer came with), but if you're adding boost, you can overcome a bunch of head deficiencies with that. I'd reconsider the supercharging route. There are many, many well sorted systems, some designed specifically for the Explorer that will bolt right on. You are really on your own with the turbos - doesn't seem to be worth it to me unless it's really one special Explorer. With a more aggressive exhaust system, some boost, and probably larger recalibrated maf with larger injectors, you can really come up with some solid HP. But if you go with twin turbos, let us know how it shakes out.

·
Registered
8,631 Posts
'97 is the cutoff year for explorers. Early '97's have IRON Gt-40 heads (same as Cobras) and later '97-up's have GT-40P heads. If oyu look at the head, you can see the letter P stamped somewhere on it.

·
Registered
35,615 Posts
Thanks 5L5 - I thought 97 was the cutoff, but wasn't sure. I believe that's also the cutoff for the egr difference - 97 and earlier have it, 98 and later don't. Explorer intakes that is.

So Tim, you would pick up some flow with either the cast iron gt40P's or with the plethora of aluminum heads that are available. Just remember, the Explorer's heavy - the HP they lost on the top (stock) was due to a cam that's got better low end to move that weight with. You start putting real high rpm high flowing parts on there, and you're liable to lose bottom end. And in a heavy Explorer with automatic, it ain't gonna be much fun to drive on the street. And I'm assuming you're not building a racer. In my opinion you either need boost or more cubes if you want to move the weight of the Exp with authority. The supercharger kits were designed with you in mind!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts