Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also ran my new best with a 100% stock Cobra besides the K&N filter (yes, I even had the air silencer in there). Here are the stats:

1.973 60'
13.405 ET
103.51 MPH
:joy:

We Houstonians got some great weather this weekend so my friends and I took advantage of it by going to HRP one last time before the summer heat and humidity ruins the weather. My car was fully loaded with spare tire and jack when I made that run! I lowered the rear tires to 24 psi and pumped up the fronts to 44. I launched at 3500 and slipped the clutch to avoid the wheel hop. I initially thought this run was ruined because I forgot to turn off the traction control and it kicked in after the 1-2 shift. Maybe it could have been better. Anyways, I also ran a 1.99 60 foot and a 13.44 on some other runs. Overall, I am very happy!

Nino

·
Registered
550 Posts
Dayum, if only I could get a sub 2 second 60'. Great run!

·
Registered
556 Posts
That's a wonderful 60' for a stock IRS car.

Jeff

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm so excited about the car's performance that I feel very tempted to mount my used Nitto DR's on some spare rims and go for a low 13. But I'm worried that the stock half-shafts won't be able to withstand the launch. Would I still be in danger if I slipped the clutch with the Nittos?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have no experience with DRs (yet) but I know that wheel hop kills axles, not the power or stickiness. Think about it. The axle is probabaly engineered to 500lbs/ft of torque. But if the tires unload and spin up to say 35mphs, then load instantly, that's what kills it. I'd bet that if you can burnout and launch without any wheelhop, then you would probably never break an axle. Just a guess.

My old Neon had a bad wheelhop problem that actually was better when I put slicks on there. For some reason. I would dump the clutch at 5k enroute to 1.9 60' times, 14.1 quarters (all motor) and never broke axles. At the same time, people with stock Neons, stock tires and all, were breaking axles because of axle tramp.

Bottom line, be willing to fix it, but be smooth, be observant, and you'll drive home fine.

Jeff

·
Registered
727 Posts
That is what I call haulin'. Great times for a stock IRS-equipped COBRA. I shoud have been out there myself today. :confused:

CONGRATULATIONS

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Awesome 60' Vic...

I've been trying my butt off to get some better 60's..

I will try this.

Shawn

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have been launching my Cobra with Nitto DR's by slipping the clutch out very fast (nearly dropping it) around 3000-3500... the Nitto's stick with the little wheelhop. I'm not afraid of breaking a half shaft at these RPM's. My concern is the wheelhop, which has been minimized by the tires alone.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LS1s LikeMyTailights said:
CONGRATS!!! :joy: Why are'nt you going to mount the Drag Radials as a daily driven tire?

I'm suppose to be selling the DR's to a guy at work. I initially thought they would break my half-shafts, but now I feel braver and would like to try them at least once at the drag strip. If he backs out I'll try them for sure.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know what else guys, forget about the reaction time. I use to try to get the best reaction time possible and all that did was force me to dump the clutch which resulted in wheel spin/hop. When you see the light to go, look down at your tach and see what it's doing when you launch. You will get a better sense of how to modulate the clutch and gas pedal this way. Plus, you will know for sure if you are staying in the power band. Once the whole launching technique becomes second nature, then you can practice cutting a good light.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's a nice 60ft on the stock rubber! And they say IRS sucks?? :D

Nice meetin ya out there. :) The weather was decent but there was a bit of headwind. I was able to run a 13.282 @ 102.82 with a sh!tty 1.910 60ft. Well it seems to be the last day before fall to have any decent track weather for running on motor. This Sunday coming up, it's gonna be mostly Nitrous runs to see if I can do better after the gears/exhaust install. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
01ConvCobra said:
I have been launching my Cobra with Nitto DR's by slipping the clutch out very fast (nearly dropping it) around 3000-3500... the Nitto's stick with the little wheelhop. I'm not afraid of breaking a half shaft at these RPM's. My concern is the wheelhop, which has been minimized by the tires alone.

dont be so sure that a low RPM will save you. I snapped a half-shaft on ET Streets at 3000 slipping the clutch out with my stock 3.27`s. I do agree that the key is preventing wheelhop, but on a hard launch it will be killer on the stock axles. To those of you with the PHP brace, has it really been effective for you to eliminate wheelhop? If more IRS parts dont start developing, i am getting me a Maximum Motorsports 3-link setup.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
32VfromHell said:

dont be so sure that a low RPM will save you. I snapped a half-shaft on ET Streets at 3000 slipping the clutch out with my stock 3.27`s. I do agree that the key is preventing wheelhop, but on a hard launch it will be killer on the stock axles. To those of you with the PHP brace, has it really been effective for you to eliminate wheelhop? If more IRS parts dont start developing, i am getting me a Maximum Motorsports 3-link setup.
Is your Cobra a '99 or '01? Just wondering because they have slightly different half shafts.

·
Registered
406 Posts
i have a 99 28-spline IRS, but since my rear end just got replaced after supposedly having an "incorrect pinion angle" which i am really not sure what that means, since i thought pinion angle was controlled by the control arm hight, anyways, i bet they replaced it with the 28-spline also. I dont trust the 01 design over mine, the spline strength isnt the problem, its the CV joints and half-shaft itself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.