Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, my name is Jason - very new to the site.

I'm hoping some of you folks out there can give me some advice/insight. I have looked through many of the threads here and gathered some ideas but so far I am still stuck.

My wife's 2000 mustang (65k miles, 4r70w transmission) recently stopped shifting into any gear. Everything was fine until one morning last week when it suddenly started slipping on her 5 mile commute home. I checked the fluid levels and took it around the block then pulled it into the garage and proceeded to pull the pan. There were no metal shavings, no dark fluid or burnt smell. The magnet had the regular sludge so I cleaned everything, drained the torque convertor and everything, put a new filter in and refilled it. I put 8 quarts in, let it sit then turned it on and without driving shifted into each gear for about 30 seconds each about 5 times. I then checked the levels and finished filling it. Once done I shifted through the gears again and let it sit about 30 mins to ensure there were no leaks or drips. The car is sparkly clean and nothing leaked.

I then took it for a test drive. Initially things seemed fine but within 1 mile the car started slipping even worse and before I could get it off the road it lost all gears completely. I now have intermittent reverse that will sometimes engage...about 2 out of 5 times... but is iffy at best and even when it does engage it only stays engaged a short time. I have no forward gears at all. The car doesn't even attempt to move. It is as if I am leaving it in neutral the whole time. There is pretty much no shift in motor tone at all.

I have checked that the mps sensor on the side hasn't shifted and it looks fine as far as I can tell. As I mentioned there are no chunks or slivers of metal in the tranny. The filter is new. The fluid is Mercron V and is at the correct level. There are no leaks that I can see and when I checked for codes using my code reader I found none.

I own my own garage and have rebuilt engines, replaced transmissions and worked on manual transmissions etc and while I have very little experience with automatic transmissions I enjoy learning, am very mechanically minded and learn quickly so any help would be appreciated :)

If any information is needed or pictures etc just let me know.

THANK YOU ALL!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
2000 mustang v6

That same exact thing happened to me and my mustang what was the issue mine is still bad I have no drive great reverse right now. It slipped a bit when I bought it so I changed all the fluid one mile later after a three point turn no more drive. Any help would be great. fluid is level and filled with mercon v 177000 miles oh and when I pulled my pan I found the dust plug which is odd for those miles I think it is the original transmission I knew all the previous owners

1 - 4 of 4 Posts