Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I have a 1990 hatchbatch lx basically stock but i have this problem that doesn't happen all of the time. I've replaced the starter solenoid (relay) 3 times!! It's stuck turning over and I have to unhook the battery. Even with the key out it still tries to turn over so its not the relay or maybe it is but something is causing the relay to go bad.

Any help would be appreciated thanks! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
have you checked the ignition switch assembly. sometimes the copper slider inside will get stuck even if the key is out. next time it happens try tapping on the switch or unhooking the signal wire going to the starter solenoid( top small connector on starter solenoid)

·
Registered
27 Posts
also if the starter solenoids are going bad you may have a high resistance issue in the starter circuit (ground) the high resistance will cause the solenoids to weld itself shut in the start position

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
also if the starter solenoids are going bad you may have a high resistance issue in the starter circuit (ground) the high resistance will cause the solenoids to weld itself shut in the start position
Which grounds are you referring to? which grounds are the ones that are connected the solenoid?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was referring to engine ground to battery and starter to engine block. For example if your ground from the engine to the battery is faulty then that starter circuit will have more resistance causing a higher amp draw trough the starter and starter solenoid, this intern causes the starter solenoid to weld itself together causing constant turning of that starter, Ive seen this happen a couple times with the older foxes that still had the larger starter. Ive also seen it caused by the ignition switch being stuck.
Next time it happens run under the hood and remove the signal line going to the starter solenoid.(small wire at the top of the solenoid with a 90 degree connector). If it stops after disconnecting this then the problem is inside the car (switch maybe). If the car keeps cranking after disconnecting the signal line, then the solenoid is getting stuck closed

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was referring to engine ground to battery and starter to engine block. For example if your ground from the engine to the battery is faulty then that starter circuit will have more resistance causing a higher amp draw trough the starter and starter solenoid, this intern causes the starter solenoid to weld itself together causing constant turning of that starter, Ive seen this happen a couple times with the older foxes that still had the larger starter. Ive also seen it caused by the ignition switch being stuck.
Next time it happens run under the hood and remove the signal line going to the starter solenoid.(small wire at the top of the solenoid with a 90 degree connector). If it stops after disconnecting this then the problem is inside the car (switch maybe). If the car keeps cranking after disconnecting the signal line, then the solenoid is getting stuck closed
The car started normally today without it stuck turning over, any thesis after that?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's fixed

you have an intermittent issue, you must wait till it occurs again in order to diagnose it properly
I just replaced some things I thought it could be, such as the battery ground wire was exposed which I believe was the true issue and I also replaced the starter, and both solenoids. I haven't had the problem return yet :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts