Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting my mustang motor project into a ranger now. It has 4wd and I want to keep it that way. Will an explorer computer and wire harness work with a mustang motor? if so what needs to be adapted, if not what can I do instead? Thanks for any info here I know this is not all about mustangs so I am curious the feedback I receive.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
LOTS, TONS of differences. Biggest -- Explorer is DISTRIBUTORLESS (crank-trigger/cam sensor fired individual coil packs); the Mustang has a distributor run by the ECU.

·
Registered
35,891 Posts
You can use the coil packs off the Exp and the cam position sensor - but most do it by either modifying the fox ECU, or simply using it as an excuse to move to a speed/density system by MS, AEM, FAST, etc....

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how would you mod a fox ecu to engage a 4wd system? and you can make a distributor motor use a coil setup? which is the best route?

Thinking now I have to sell the project motor and get an explorer to mod... just to make things work properly

·
Registered
111 Posts
what year ranger?

My 97 ranger I was able to simply plug in the explorer engine harness to my 4 cylinder chasiss harness all the pinouts were the same.

using similar year components is the key.

If using the explorer trans and keeping emissions itll be a cake walk

But, youll need all the sensors, coil packs, harmonic balancer, possibly timing cover (might be the same as a 94+ mustang gt), and you might as well use a gt40 intake setup unless your planning using something better

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow your ranger looks awesome! My ranger is a 1998 and I have a 5.0l for a mustang I was going to put in: stock bottom end, afr165 heads, edelbrock performer rpm intakes, trick flow stage 1 cam.

Wondering how this would work out with an explorer ecu being for coilpacks and my motor has a distributor like the other poster brought to my attention. What could I do to make this motor usable as well as the 4wd and it is a 5 speed right now, would like to keep that. The TKO has multiple shifter mount points so it can get the shifter right up by the original location

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think the Tkos will support a transfer case.
youll need a ford truck manual trans, or if you aren't serious about offroading, you can use a 4x4 s10 T5 with a sbf bellhousing, but thatd be iffy with your power level.

I used the SLL4 explorer ecu and had it chipped to turn it in a manual trans ecu and get rid of the smog stuff.

Like I said before, youll need all the sensors off an explorer 302, a explorer/94-95 gt timing cover, and the explorer harnmonic balancer/pulley.

·
Read Only
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate all your info here sir I really do. I just got into this idea about 2 weeks ago so a lot of digging around needs to be done on my end.

The f150 5 speed trannys were not rated at too much hp/tq either... advanced adapters make an adaptor for tko+transfer case? thats what I was thinking. The final thing I got and keep asking I know, is an explorer ecu will run a mustang 5.0 with a distributor? I got the extras I'll need to get as what you're listing but sensors and things will match up and run it?

It will go offroad which is why I want to keep the 4wd system but I never do anything crazy enough to break things. Just a bit of safe fun... and I will burn a few wanna be's on the street in a truck lol

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
The final thing I got and keep asking I know, is an explorer ecu will run a mustang 5.0 with a distributor? I got the extras I'll need to get as what you're listing but sensors and things will match up and run it?
I think the idea is that you take a Mustang 5.0 with a distributor and swap enough accessories to turn it into an Explorer 5.0 with DIS, and then the Explorer computer runs it just fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts