Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i had the mufflers removed, other than it being way too loud for me, am i hurting the car any, i mean horsepower in anyway, i figured with 4 cats on the car that should be enough backpressure to where that won't hurt me

·
Registered
154 Posts
Trays GT said:
yesterday i had the mufflers removed, other than it being way too loud for me, am i hurting the car any, i mean horsepower in anyway, i figured with 4 cats on the car that should be enough backpressure to where that won't hurt me
why would you do that? I would think it would sound like crap. Just get some straight through mufflers. You probably lost some HP.

·
Registered
150 Posts
with lowering back pressure - i've always found that you gain a little on the top end and lose a slight amount of low end. this has been my experience with both 4 cylinders and V8s.

that being said - i did this around the beginning of January. i like the sound a lot more than stock....muscle cars have a sound .... and the stock exhaust wasn't giving that to me. without the mufflers, it is closer to that sound I want. I told the guy when he was doing it that I didn't want to do it this way - but since money was fairly tight, I was going to cheap out on it.....but I'd be back to do it right.

overall - i'm pleased with the decision. it sounds tons better - a lot more aggressive sounding. some people might not like that - but I do.

as for your question - no - you aren't hurting the car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good, i thought i wasn't, but its definitly to loud, and i did it for the same reason, cause money was tight and i told him i'd be back to get it right but dad doesn't want me to get at ticket so he is gonna give me my old flowmaster 3 chambers back to me, cause he bought those when he bought the car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
if you are colse to norfolk you can come by and here mine with the bassani system. it sounds bad a$$

·
Registered
510 Posts
Put an Offroad H or X on it with stock muffs to go cheap. I have an H and it sounds nice. Look around on the classifieds. I found a MAC for 50.00 and you could probably get stock muffs for free or almost? It gave me at least 12-15 SOTP dyno power increase!

Now my slow 97 Automatic with a Jerry mod, upper intake porting and pulleys will burn rubber all the way through first and only stops just before it shifts into second. Second gear rubber for about 15 feet. Before it would only turn them for about 25ft in first and second 8ft or so

1 - 8 of 8 Posts