Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My American Thunder has seen better days, much HP would I gain switching to Magnapacks ( also I already have a Mac O/R H-Pipe ) ? Thanks.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Couple horsepower and a couple torque...maybe. Flowmasters really don't flow that much better than stock, but catbacks really don't affect horsepower/torque very much so although it would flow better (and it WOULDN'T be flowmasters which is good!), it won't affect it all that drastically. 3hp/5tq...if you're lucky.

What you will have, though, is a car so incredibly noisy that you'll probably annoy yourself just driving it. Offroad AND packs is one hell of a noisy package; way to much for my taste and I have the packs! If you ever like to listen to the radio or talk to people in the car, be prepared to forfit it!

·
Registered Loser
2,604 Posts
It'll sound also, but no more than a couple Horsepower gain, the biggest gains are from the midpipe.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't imagine Packs being much worse than than my 40 series & 4.10 ( especially drone ).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Lets put it this way....my packs require me to turn up my mach 460 to about 75% of max volume to really understand what I'm hearing. When I talk on my cell phone with the windows up on the highway, people can hear my exhaust over the phone. It is definitley not quiet at all and this is with a catted-X. I would hate to go off-road because it is already too loud inside, and not loud enough outside. I like to drive at about 95 on the highway just so I can get out of the drone sometimes. Maybe if I put 4.10's in, it would be different. I'm going to be adding some 40's in about a week, so I'll let you know about the drone.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Adding the Bassani inserts into the exhaust tips will help to tone down the drown. I had catted-x and packs on and decided to put the magnaflow catback on instead to save my hearing. As mentioned above the actual hp gains will only be a few hp and torque. However, the perceived hp will be much higher. When I had the packs on no one would get close to me especially at a light. The car sounded a lot faster then it actually was. Oh yea, you'll also get more attention from the boys in blue as well.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am an anti pack and Flows guy. I use mine for daily driver and do not like headaches. I can tell you I have switched out Flows before for Dynomax Super Turbos and did not notice any drop in power. It did however get rid of the drone. The packs will probably get rid of drone too since they are "packed" and not tin cans.

As mentioned above it is not an issue so much about power but noise level. The mid pipe and headers are the difference makers. I have the same MAC H you do with just the stock muffs and it is pretty loud at WOT but nice and low at low speed & idle. I did get a huge power increase just with the midpipe and like the way it sounds so I am going to leave it at that. I think there is allot of hype about hp increases. Instead of wasting hundreds of bucks on stainless mufflers you cannot see and for maybe 1-2 hp increase why not use the money more wisely. It is all about the power isn't it!!??

·
Registered
152 Posts
Magnapack cat-back WILL drone just as bad as flowmasters. I like the the flowmaster sound but I hated the drone. I had packs and at first it was cool but then I heard my friend drive the car drive down the road and I did not like the way the it sounded. The drone was the same or maybe a little worse with the packs. My rear speaker grills on my Mach 460 would rattle, my doors would rattle and the little bass that is on the Mach 460 was drownded out by the packs. Honestly you may gain 2 rwhp and the same or less rwtq with the packs. The cat-back really does not make power unless you are REALLY making some serious HP. Forget the adds and all that junk that is all marketing crap, cat-backs are all about sound not power.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I like my Flows......you will get like 2-3 hp
Dave

·
Registered
256 Posts
00quicksilver said:
Lets put it this way....my packs require me to turn up my mach 460 to about 75% of max volume to really understand what I'm hearing. When I talk on my cell phone with the windows up on the highway, people can hear my exhaust over the phone. It is definitley not quiet at all and this is with a catted-X. I would hate to go off-road because it is already too loud inside, and not loud enough outside. I like to drive at about 95 on the highway just so I can get out of the drone sometimes. Maybe if I put 4.10's in, it would be different. I'm going to be adding some 40's in about a week, so I'll let you know about the drone.
Are you deaf? Seriously I can hear my cell phone and radio just fine while going down the road and I have long tubes, O/R x, and packs. People can hear my car over the phone yes, but they can hear me over the exhaust.

·
Registered
519 Posts
VIPERBLUELX said:
magnapacks sound like ass
With an offroad X, they drone. But with a catted X they sound mean. Everyone that has heard mine likes the sound. Flows aren't that big of a sound difference over stock.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, they can hear me over my exhaust, but sometimes they can't. If I'm slightly on the gas even with the windows up I have to yell in my cell phone. I'm beginning to think that maybe the previous owner of the car maybe removed some sound deadening, because no one else seems to have this problem.

Also, my friend with longtubes, dr.gas O/R X, and single chamber flows has about the same drone as my car.....which makes no sense to me.

The drone on the packs rattles my interior, shakes the floorpan, and the mach speaker grilles. It's really bad at about 2500 rpm when it sounds like metal grinding from underneath me. I don't mind drone, but it isn't good drone.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You will gain about 6-7rwhp and a few foot pounds of torque as well.....

I always here every one say that the catback does not make a difference, but it does......

Dont believe me....every year we have a big open house at Magnaflow and do a before and after dyno on a 00 Mustang GT---

Next open house is in April......come on over and see it for yourself.

Last time we gained 13rwhp.......with over 3500 people there to witness it.

Some systems dont make a difference, others do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts