Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for an alternative to my MSD distributor. This is the 4th one that has failed on my car in less than 400 miles. It runs fine with stock distributors in it, but for some reason, these MSD units continually fail. This one lasted the longest, as the previous 3 crapped out either as soon as I turned the car on, or the next day. This one has gone about 350miles, and started acting up last night at the track. It would be fair to say that I'm fed up with the unit, and I'm going to get something else. I will revert back to a stock distributor if I have too, but I was wondering if anyone else had any input on alternative brand direct replacement distributors. Things like Mallory, Holley, Accel, and whomever else is out there that I have forgotten about. I'd love to hear any thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
What exactly has failed. On the EFI distributor there is only one moving part, the shaft. I've heard of gear failure, but that's usually because of an incompatibility with the cam. I once had a Mallory dual point that I converted to a unilight, the pins that held the advance weights broke loose and trashed everything inside the distributor. I have a MSD billet distributor, and so far, it has outlasted two engines.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm on my second 8582 dizzy (for 302 carb'd). I needed to have the cam gear changed from iron to steel. The machine shop messed up the first one. When he pressed off the gear, he broke the pin in the bushing that sits below the main body, and never replaced the pin. Made a mess to say the least. Now I have a replacement and its fine (so far), but I didn't bring that one back to the same shop for the gear swap.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THe failure isn't mechanical....it's electronic. On the last 4, it was the pickup internal to the distributor that failed, and I have a feeling that the same thing has happened this time. The symptoms are identical. The car has a miss, and at idle my autometer tach thinks it's at somekinda rave party. It hops like crazy because the distributor is telling it to fire at all kinds of wild intervals. It took MSD quite some time to find the problem the last time. But they were confident that they fixed the problem, and up until yesterday it had been working fine. I thought it could have been my car only, but we have put the distributor in several different cars and each of them do the same thing. Needless to say, it's getting pretty annoying. I'm seriously considering just going back to the stock unit and placing my money elsewhere.
I asked around my area some, and apparently I'm not the only person who has had this kind of trouble out of the MSD distributor. I'd like to know what's killing the unit though. It didn't start acting up this time until I made a pass with the car running hotter than usual(about 210deg when I made the run as opposed to the usual 180), and it started to do it's trick after that. Previously they had started going bannana's as soon as I plugged them in and fired the car up. If anyone here has any other suggestions I'm all ears, but I think I'm going to get rid of the unit unless I come up with something good before thursday.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have any suggestions on reliable alternative brands??????

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
Use a stock distributor, They arent as nice as the MSD but they work day in day out. I have never had any problems with MSD products other than a 6T that "I burnt up". The Mallory comp 9000 and Unilite distributors are a good alternative to the MSD. If your still running EFI then you only have 3 choices, MSD, Accel or stock.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I"m still EFI, I think holley makes an EFI distributor too, but I don't know how good they are. I'm thinking I'm giong to go back to a stock unit though, and put the money somewhere else in the car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm sure it will. The only reason I got it in the first place was that my stock unit was on it's way out and I figured I would replace it with something better. I hope to get the car down into the high 13's with the current combo though. I have a trick-flow intake, ported heads, 1.7's, and headers, but I was running slower at the track with this stuff than I was in stock trim. The car was missing/bogging intermittantly, and as it turns out....the MSD decided it didn't like it's job. THanks for the input guys, I'm gonna send the MSD packing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts