Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.....I'm failrly certain that I'm going to experience spark blowout when I get into the higher boost numbers. SO.......which is it:

1) MSD DIS-4

or

2) Kenne Bell Boost - a - Spark

Let me know why if you've got the time and which one is cheaper

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Trying to be fair and accurate here. I currently have a MSD DIS 4 with 2 tach adaptors on my car. While I am not convinced of it's reliability, it is easy to bypass around, thus poses no threat to keeping me from getting home or over to Lamotta's shop in case of failure.

The MSD unit with adaptors costs more than double the BAS. For that extra money it has some nice features for drag racers. It has a staging rev limit feature, timing retard feature (for amount and at what RPM), and a electicic spark rev limiter at wherever you wish to set it (good for power adder applications where you do not want rev limiter with fuel shut off). These functions are simple to set.

If you don't need the above features, just a stronger spark, and stay off the stock fuel shutoff (which can be moved up a little with your chip), the BAS to me seems ideal. When my MSD goes, I think I will install the BAS (unless MSD will fix free or cheap).

MHO

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Anyone out there who hasn't burn up a DIS-4? All the recent talk is making me re-think the recent order for a MSD DIS-4. I drive my car 60-mile round trip to work each day in ALL weather conditions. I hate these type of decisions.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I really don't know what or why anything happened to mine, I still need to get MSD to replace it, just haven't made the effort yet.

Mine was fine, zero problems until I put my rebuilt engine in. The car sat for about 9 months and after getting everything back together I drove the car a month or so and then my car would start bucking erractically. Bypassed the MSD with the bypass plug and have just been running on the stock ignition. .034 gap and 15 psi and I'm not getting any spark blowout (that I can feel). It just hasn't bothered me all that much right now......this is my daily driver too (my only car actually).

Tom Crews

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Tom...I don't know if they will replace it or not, but I believe they will repair it for you at little or no expense. Mine has been repaired once at no expense (it was out of warranty), I don't know what was wrong with it. They are good to work with. That sure helps.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ralph,

How long was it b4 it went out on you. That is good to hear that they fixed it for you. Hopefully by the time that mine goes out (if it does ) I will have another car as a daily driver. But that leads me to the question, how long did it take for them to fix and get the unit back to you?

Thanks for your help.

Tom,

Isn't it funny how things can just sit and not work the next time you put them to use. That is what happened w/ my secondary chain tensioners. What plugs are you running. It seems to me that if you have iridium plugs at a relatively tight gap that you want have spark blowout at even somewhat high boost numbers (in your case 15). I plan on running about 12 pounds of boost daily (maybe a little less) but then turn it up to 20, 21, 22 or so when I need it. Hope to get another car in the near future so I don't have to rely on this car every day.

Please let me know on the plugs and any recomendations on running 15lbs w/ no spark blowout daily.

Thanks to all

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I'm running 99cent Autolite 764s gapped at .034. I've had it close to 7K rpm in 1st and 2nd and then everytime after that it blows the intake tube off the throttle body once I hit about 10psi (5,500rpm). I'll be ordering an aluminum discharge tube soon to hopefully take care of that problem. The few times I pulled it high...the car pulled liked crazy without any hesitation/stuttering or other spark-blowout symptoms....

I've been working on fuel issues (sumping the tank, etc...) and will hopefully be getting the car tuned in late February......

Tom Crews

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Cammin...Best I remember the unit had about 12,000 miles on it when it quit working, , and took about 2-3 weeks from time I sent it off, until I got it back. They didn't charge me, but I would expect them too this time (but maybe not too much). BTW I'm using TR 6's gapped at .035. That is what came in my SHM engine. Although I know some don't like them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks Ralph,

I think I missed something. Did yours die twice now? I was just thinking that b/c you said you didn't think it would be free this time.

And yes I was thinking about using the NGKs and maybe the Denso's if I can afford them. I have the 764s at the moment but I just figure that the NGKs or Denso's have to be capable of putting out more spark. I don't know hardly anything about this area so excuse me if something I said sounds like an idiot.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Sending my Dis4 back for the second time in a year today. First time it ended up being the tach adapters, this time I replaced them and it turned out to not be those - DIS4 is bad. Here's another 3 weeks without driving it hard...

Mine has about 10k on it.

I have a jacobs, newer design, and new in the box, that i'm going to put on instead of this crappy MSD - hopefully it at least wont go out 5x.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts