Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just bought and installed an MSD "Blaster" coil for my '86 GT.(Bolt-in replacement for TFI.)

I'm getting a weird buzzing/fast ticking noise from what sounds like the coil/distributor area in the engine compartment. It has nothing to do with the radio - in fact my CD/FM/AM radio plays and sounds fine - I get no buzz through my speakers at all. The "buzz" is present even with the radio off.

I did a search and found only references to radio noise and a filter suppression device you can buy - but I don't think this is my issue.

The car runs fine and smooth - performance is not an issue. Thanks for any ideas!
Mark

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I had the same noise on my '89..

I used some rubber washers on the mounting and that seemed to help somewhat...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
This is what MSD told me about the buzz.....

The frequency in which the coil operates can cause it to buzz. To help reduce the buzzing install rubber washers between the coil and the mounting brackets

Don't worry about it. You'll get used to it pretty quick. It does not affect the performance of the coil at all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I just installed a Crane PS92 coil that does the same thing. It seems like it's gotten quieter as it accumulates more run time. I replaced my old PS92 coil with this new one. The old one did not make any noise.

When I installed the new one, I relocated it to the thin section of sheet metal where the battery used to be located. The Crane Tech said "the mounting location is causing the sound to resonate, thus making it more noticable".

The car hasn't had any problems with the buzzing coil.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK. That's what I wanted to hear - that it's "normal".

I'll try the rubber washers - but you're right, I'm already getting used to it... Thanks for the replies! Mark

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
i have mine mounted to the thick part of the strut tower & i can hear mine pretty clear. this is pretty common for the blaster coil & will be ok.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts