Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed the s-trim in my 94 Cobra and I'm trying to mount the gauges in the Saleen dual-gauge dash pod, the one that replaces the clock on the dash. Do I have to drill a hole in the dash for the screw on the back of the pod? Also, do I transfer the steel clips from the original pod on the 2 front screws on the Saleen pod? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
On the Autometer pod I had it came with a post things that tightened down over the hole, then you could tighten the pod to that post. Damn, I know that doesn't make sense but you really need a pic more than anything.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Hey are you using a saleen pod with autometer gauges? I want to know if the saleen and autometer stuff are interchangeable. I have an autometer gauge and want to use saleen gauges. :confused:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttt

I know some of you guys are using these things. Just want to know how to do it before I go gouging up my dash.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
You shouldn't have to gouge up your dash at all. Just pull the clock straight up and off, unplug it, then go to your directions and go from there. Once you get started you'll see how simple it is. The hardest part is tightening down the pod through the two guage holes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are using elecric gauges, you don't have to cut anything. The 3 studs will go through existing holes. I use a mechanical fuel gauge with an isolator so I needed to cut a notch in the dashpanel at the back to allow rrom for a braided line. Other than that, it was plug & play. Some advice.. the plastic nuts provided are a stone ***** to tighten unless you fully thread and unthread them a few times before putting the pod on. I cut the hell out of my hands before I figured that out. Nice mod - I put in Autometer/Ford racing whiteface gauges and it looks great.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stud on the back of the pod doesn't line up to anything. There is not an existing hole in the back, but there are the 2 in front. Guess I'll have to drill a small hole for the one in the back. I didn't get any directions or nuts with the pod, just the pod and the studs on the pod. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
stacked8 said:
The stud on the back of the pod doesn't line up to anything. There is not an existing hole in the back, but there are the 2 in front. Guess I'll have to drill a small hole for the one in the back. I didn't get any directions or nuts with the pod, just the pod and the studs on the pod. Thanks for replying.
That is what I had to do. It turned out to be a nightmare...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ttt

What kind of screws came with it for the studs? I bought some lock nuts last night, but they go on way to tight to get them on with my fingers. Did you guys tighten the front 2 studs down first, or the back one?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine came with a set of nylon wing nuts. Took the center (radio, etc) section out of the car and tightned nuts by hand. Very little room - takes awhile and wear gloves. Sharp edges everywhere.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm using the Auto Meter Phantom 2-1/16" mech. boost and elec. fuel pressure gauges. You have to get to the nuts by taking the stereo out? Not sure if I have those steel pieces to slide out the stereo, or do I need them?

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can remove the stock stereo usign four heavy guage finish nails. Pop them in half way and push then outward while pulling.
Can't help on the pod though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The whole center trim bezel will come out with the radio still attached by taking out a couple 8mm hex screws. I think the shifter boot and trim comes out first, been awhile. Have a look at it and you'll figure it out.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Going to attack this after work tonight. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts