Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
53,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has ended up costing a lot more then I had planned, but what can you do? Too late to worry about it now. Could have saved some money by assembling it myself, but it's a "drop in motor" now and that's kind of nice. Some of the parts listed here were needed because they were destroyed when the 302 went KABOOM.

Breakdown of invoice:

Fox Lake 347 Stroker shortblock with 10.25:1 Probe Oil Control Pistons and steel crank:
$2250.00

Upgrade to Eagle H-Beam rods:
$200.00

TFS Stage 2 Cam:
$139.00

Repair and mill damaged heads (new valves/guides/springs/milling)
$530.00

New timing Cover:
$69.00

Custom Length Pushrods:
$89.00

Port-Match lower intake:
$125.00

SFI Balancer:
$269.00

Timing Chain Set:
$89.00

Blueprinted Oil Pump:
$65.00

ARP Head Bolts:
$43.00

ARP Balancer Bolt:
$25.00

Assemble longblock, degree cam, set valves, gasket kit, install balancer and timing cover:
$462.00

Shipping:
$205.00

Total lift with 1.7 rockers will be 578/590

I guess I'll do some sort of writeup if anyone is interested, when the motor gets here, as well as a writeup on impressions/results.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Awesome news Greg! Sounds like a tight little combo you got there. It'll be nice to see what kind of numbers you run with that bad boy!

·
Premium Member
53,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Keith... I'm really anxious to get going again, and I hope this turns out ok. Nothing to do now but wait.....

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
You gonna put the spray to it? Can't see you wanting to step back from the times you've been running for several years...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I bet you're excited.

I got my 306 from Fox Lake about 2 weeks ago, but it was just a short block w/ new rods, forged pistons, new block, etc.

Now if i can just find some cam thrust bolts i can put it all together!

·
Premium Member
53,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well Dan, I know what you're saying, but it remains to be seen where I'll be at with this thing. In the past, I went 110 MPH with a 306 and unported heads and no power adder, and that was with the stock computer too (no extender). Now I'll have ported heads, a bigger cam, more compression, ported lower, and 347 cubes in place of 306 cubes. The folks at Fox lake also pay close attention to detail as far as balancing and assembling the motors they produce. I'm not saying I'll go 116 with this new setup but it may be quicker then some folks have predicted. I ran a pretty wimpy tune with that blower setup- pig rich and 10 degrees base timing. I may lose a lot up top, but I think I may have a lot of bottom end with this combo. I'm gonna run as much timing as I can, and perhaps I can make a strong showing with this new setup.
My car is heavy, and torque is what gets the car moving, so who knows? ET wise, I may not be that far away from where I left off. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'll be sure and make a full report after I get some break-in time and chance to map out the best shift points.

Based on what I have put together, what do you think it will do? The car weighs 3550 lbs... I guess I really don't know what to expect. I went 12.70 on stickies with the 306 NA, maybe I can get into the low 12s? I also have not ever really set my chassis up for a hard launch, maybe I can make up some ET with some chasis mods. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have enough MPH, it's just gonna depend on how well I can hook/drive it.

Travis- good luck man, hope everything goes well for you with your new motor.

In hindsight, I could have bought a 306 shortblock pretty cheap, and kept my blower... Oh well...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Greg, there are of course combos that run faster than they look like they should on the outside :D , but regardless of the port matching a Cobra intake on a 347 is going to start signing off hard after 5k rpm. I think it will run 112, and whatever e.t. you can muster out of that.

·
Premium Member
53,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jeff.... :)

·
Premium Member
53,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TURBOX2 said:
Greg, there are of course combos that run faster than they look like they should on the outside :D , but regardless of the port matching a Cobra intake on a 347 is going to start signing off hard after 5k rpm. I think it will run 112, and whatever e.t. you can muster out of that.
Yea, I think you're right. My intakes, porting or not, are gonna limit me I'm sure. I think 112 is about right, we'll see how close we are to that. Very interesting- that's what I told P302Stang the other day- that I thought maybe I'll go 112-ish? Guess we'll have to see what happens. Ron from Fox Lake is not a big fan of GT40X heads- they told me I'd do MUCH better with some CNC ported TFS heads, but thats some buku bucks. Maybe in the future. As far as the juice, I really don't see me doing that, but anything's possible.. I do have an NX kit laying around out there somewhere... :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.