Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is a different spin on a beat to death question. This past weekend I installed my new D.S.S. 331. They say to change the oil every 1500 miles. I think synthetic motor oil is superior to conventional. My question is with me changing oil every 1500 miles and having a 7 qt pan would conventional oil be fine. Question # 2 I put castrol GTX 10w-30 in for the ½ half and first 100 mile oil changes because that what I had here for my two Toyotas. Should I continue to use Castrol or would it be ok to use Motorcraft. Which I can get for $1.10 a qt. Or is there a better conventional motor oil

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Castrol, Valvoline, and Havoline are all good motor oils. I think Motorcraft is repackaged Havoline. Maybe someone can back me up or correct me on that. If you're going to change it every 1500 miles, I don't see paying for synthetic. There shouldn't be any problem with swapping between brands of oil either.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Most people will break a new engine in on conventional oil, I personally use Castrol 10W30, changing it after the first start, and then about 500 miles later, and then again at 1500. At about 3000 miles, I usually switch to Mobil 1, and then change it every 3000. Use a quality filter, just about any thing except a Fram. I run a Canton 7 qt roadrace pan, but only put 6 quarts in it. I feel that this helps in keeping the oil from slinging up on the crank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts