Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
well, I have sprayed cast pistons with a 200hp shot numerous times, (402BBC) I used 325hp shot on KB pistons on a 351W I had in a 68 cougar, I have sprayed (estimated) 400 shot on SRP pistons, but I know a thing or two about nitrous, hyper pistons are stronger than most people thing, usualy what kills them is high RPM, I dont suggest even spraying hyper or cast pistons but it has been done, and im sure im not the only person to do this...;) the key is have plenty of fuel, quality ignition, the "right" heat range with the plugs and I pull the timing from Total timing, so if I had 36 degrees total timing, I subtract say 2 degrees for every 50 hp of nitrous from that...but thats what works for me, trust me, you have a hick up and youll put a hole in those slugs faster than you can say, OH S**T!

·
Registered
692 Posts
hyper pistons

The factory ford hyper. pistons are stronger than most think.Ive shot 250hp on them with no failures.Now a K.B. hyper piston is a pile of $#@%.even if you gap them wide like they suggest.Ive seen these fail on horsepower.Hope I could help.

·
Registered
‘93 Mustang LX
4,819 Posts
Properly made hyper pistons from a material standpoint are stronger but more brittle. Hold tighter p-w clearances due to better thermal expansion too.

But, due to their brittleness, are unforgiving. Forged are tougher, but not stronger from data I have researched. Toughness gives you some warning before failure.

From what I surmise, if you are very good about your tuning, quality hyper pistons have many advantages even in un-naturally aspirated combos.

The most I have sprayed on my factory '93 pistons is 125 dry NOS shot, fwiw.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Calypso Ike - just so you know, it's HyperEUTECTIC, not hypertonic; although I like your creativity. Leadsled summed it well - the key is not so much the amount sprayed, but the tune under which it was sprayed. The hypereutectic pistons won't like it if it gets too lean and/or detonation occurs. So the more you spray, the more conservative you should get on your tune (richer).

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry Myount im not the best speller. This is a stock 95 short block with a set of GT-40ps on it. Im looking to go into the 11s, so i bought a wet kit. Everyone said go wet since its alot safer.

So if i pull timing and maybe make a dyno pull and take a look at the data it will prob be alot safer.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
My buddy sprayed 250 with KB hyper pistons all summer long (he used it ALOT too!!!!) and blew a head gasket towards the end of the season. The pistons didn't have a scratch on them, so, back together it went and more spraying. The engine's in another car now and still running totally fine.

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
Yeah Ike - dyno pull with wide band a/f data is a great idea. Start rich, and gradually back it down. Probably wouldn't go much above 12:1 or so on a/f to be conservatively safe.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i might just have a chip burned for nitrous. That way i can be totaly safe. I do not plan on going faster then what this motor combo will go, if i wish to do that i would build another car

·
Registered
35,892 Posts
"I do not plan on going faster then what this motor combo will go"

That's a good thing. To go faster than you can go requires the Star Wars "HyperSpace" pistons. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts