Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran a couple of searches because I KNOW this has come up before, but wasn't lucky enough to find the previous threads. :( So what is the best route to go when grinding down the ends of the axles? I can see the clearance issue is minimal, yet enough that I would have to hammer the cross shaft in....if at all. I don't want to have to force it too much. Any help will of course be apprecitated. Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
it is not wise to grind on axels...............................what is your gear ratio .i think bigger than 4:10's you need a cross pin that is notched..i have never heard of it hitting axels.i have moser axels(31 splin) and 3:90 gears not a problem

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gear ratio is only 3.73. I am using a truck 31 spline differential but I retained the 'C' clips from my stock 28 spline axles. I wish I could find the thread that discussed this exact issue. :( Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I FOUND IT! My main concern is to make sure the grind is square. The amount of material blocking me from setting the shaft is ridiculously small. It almost looks like it should go. Thanks guys...I appreciate the input. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
you'll be ok using an angle grinder to grind the ends of the axles enough to get the shaft in. i had to do that. just don't grind too much off.

also, with my 4.30 gears, the shaft would not fit past the ring gear teeth, so i ended up having to grind down 1 tooth a very little bit with a dremel tool. the lower the gear, the thicker the ring gear.

·
Registered
366 Posts
jeremy mifflin said:
they make notch cross pins for low gears.................and i dont unders stand why you all had to grind the axels i did not
It happens sometimes with aftermarket axles. There is more material on the end of the shaft, past the c-clip, than the factory axles. There have been different diameter cross shafts in the factory 8.8 differentials for various applications over the years (truck, car, limited slip, open). Sometimes the aftermarket axle company gets the spacing wrong and you have to grind the end of the axle to make it fit in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the same problem with my 28 spline Mosers. Had about .010" interference. I talked to Moser directly and they recommended removing material from the end although they did not outright admit this has been reported to them before. Looks like a toloerance stack issue to me. Bench grinder did the deed. Problem solved.

·
Registered
185 Posts
i remember why i had to take a little metal off one of the ring gear teeth to get the shaft in, i have a 31 spline diff that has a thicker shaft.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have all maner of grinding tools. Hopefully I'll tackle it some time tomorrow and post results. Thanks again all. :)

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
My 28 spline mosers fit perfectly :)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Moser 28's, a hand file, and about thirty minutes. Oh, and 4.10's. I was a bit leary of heating the end of the axle up with a power type grinder as I had no idea how much material needed to be removed. Hindsight would have been to buzz about 0.020" with the grinder and chamfer the ends.

Darren

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I just put in my 28 spline mosers yesterday and had the same problem. I wonder if the measurments were off on a certain batch of axles or something? But anyway, I filed down the ends of the axles with a hand file until I could pund the shaft in with a rubber mallet, oh and I have 4.10s also. I havent got the car of the jackstands yet because I'm doing rear brakes also, but hopefully everything works

·
Registered
366 Posts
jeremy mifflin said:
i had no problems with mine thet are 31 spline with 390 gears
It has nothing to do with the gear ratio. That is a different clearance issue. This is simply because the axles have too much material on the end of the shaft past the C-clip. You can see the difference if you hold them side-by side with the stock axles.

If you have to grind the end, you want top do it as smoothly and squarely as possible, so the axle doesn't wear into the cross shaft.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I plan on changing my axles soon. Should I install the axles with a c clip eliminator so I won't have the problem like the others?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Thunder5.0 said:
I plan on changing my axles soon. Should I install the axles with a c clip eliminator so I won't have the problem like the others?
Not if you want to do hard cornering without leaks. Somebody correct me if this has changed in the past few years. The old kits were notorious leakers for street use.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have an explorer 31 trac loc, with moser 31 spline axles, along with 4.10 gears. My axles slid right in easily. Actually you can barely move my axles if you grab the wheel and push it in and out.
Brent

·
Registered
185 Posts
techguy said:
It has nothing to do with the gear ratio. That is a different clearance issue. This is simply because the axles have too much material on the end of the shaft past the C-clip. You can see the difference if you hold them side-by side with the stock axles.

If you have to grind the end, you want top do it as smoothly and squarely as possible, so the axle doesn't wear into the cross shaft.
i think he is talking about the shaft. the lower the gear, the thicker the ring gear. that's where you can run into clearence issues with the shaft, especially with a 31 spline unit where the shaft is thicker.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts