Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've decided on going with 4.10's in my car, but now have a few questions about the shift points and speedometer correction. I plan on getting a Diablo Chip, which they tell me they can change the shift points and fix the speedometer for the gears with a custom tuned chip. Is this true with a 96 GT Automatic? What is a Speedcal? Will I need one if I get the chip? Are there any calculators for 4r70w's as far as rpms and mph, the only ones I can find are for 5 Speeds. Thanks!

·
Registered
310 Posts
can't cal speedo via ecc, can't remember about shift points, but I think its also a no. but you can do line pressures and lockup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap are you serious? Then why did they tell me that? Also I had no idea that you couldn't change shift points, well wait a minute then how do you put 4.10's in a 96 Auto? I know they would be way off. Anyone else know for sure? I've heard both ways on both questions? Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
i have the3 same problem. i am trying to get 4.10 for my 98 aode. i called dallas mustang, and he told me that a chip and the speedo gear wont work cause 96 and up have electronic speedo. so hw told me all i need is the speed cal like the 99 and up. i am lost and am starting tp think that i dont wont gears anymore:(

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
96-98's have a gear drive that feeds the speedo. 99 and up have the electronic speedo. You could get a new speedo gear when you put in the 4.10s, but the compensation will not be very good. Better stick with the oem gear and a SpeedCal from Dallas Mustang. As for the shift control, you really need a good chip that will take care of that problem. Sorry, I can't recommend one but a little research in the archives should give you a lot of opinions.

I have 3.73's in my 96 auto and the chip I have did a good job of correcting the shift points. Unfortunately, the company (Auburn Performance Electronics) is gone with the wind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts