Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the track last night and beat on the Cobra again. I ran a new best of 14.49 @ 95.17 with a 2.099 60'. It was about 65 degrees with pretty high humidity.

The MPH numbers are a still a little low, but I may have found out why. Bob Cosby recently swapped from a T45 to a TKO and lost 13 HP (dyno verified). Many others in the thread reported losing 2 mph when swapping to a TKO!

I would make the trans swap again if given the choice just for the added strength, but it would have been nice to know that it would slow me down.

So if I'm losing 2 MPH (and the associated ET), my times aren't that bad, right?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I don't know about that. I have a 3550 in my car and the difference between it and a TKO is the input and ouput shafts. I don't think 13RWHP is worth near 2MPH either.

That being said, your times aren't that bad. My best stock time with just a Tremec and shifter was [email protected] MPH. You are down a few MPH over mine but I'm at sea level and it was cool (~60's).

What are you shifting at? What about power shifting? Launch seems to be okay, but can be better. A lot of the launch is track prep dependant especially on street tires. Did you go with BenW and the other OK guys? Tell them to post thier times as well!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Erik,
I'm just going by the thread in the modular forum for the difference between the TKO and T45 (which I think should be the same as a T5). I agree that 13 RWHP is not 2 MPH. The 13 RWHP came from Bob Cosby's dyno tests, and the 2 MPH was from 2 different people's experiences at the track.

Even if the TKO kills 2 MPH, I'm still down on power for whatever reason. I'll find it eventually!

I tried shifting from 5K to 5800 RPM and it couldn't see any difference. That run , I shifted at 5500 from first gear, and 5200 into 3rd and 4th. I'm shifting pretty hard, but not quite powershifting yet. Track conditions here pretty much suck. No VHT at all.

I tried to call BenW, but couldn't get through. A bunch of us went last week, but BenW, rtz, and I decided not to run after waiting to tech in for an hour.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Brian94Cobra said:
Erik,
I'm just going by the thread in the modular forum for the difference between the TKO and T45 (which I think should be the same as a T5). I agree that 13 RWHP is not 2 MPH. The 13 RWHP came from Bob Cosby's dyno tests, and the 2 MPH was from 2 different people's experiences at the track.

Even if the TKO kills 2 MPH, I'm still down on power for whatever reason. I'll find it eventually!

I tried shifting from 5K to 5800 RPM and it couldn't see any difference. That run , I shifted at 5500 from first gear, and 5200 into 3rd and 4th. I'm shifting pretty hard, but not quite powershifting yet. Track conditions here pretty much suck. No VHT at all.

I tried to call BenW, but couldn't get through. A bunch of us went last week, but BenW, rtz, and I decided not to run after waiting to tech in for an hour.
For a stock car, thats pretty good dude...mine went roughly the same with an O/R H and a cat back. My buddy just bought a bone stock 94 cobra and id be really suprised if it cut your times...

are you kinda boggin down out of the hole? even tho you cut decent 60 ft times its could launch and then bog down and then take off again and thats your mph right there man. I gained 3.5 mph by just not boggin out of the hole, which i kept doing by not launching high enough(3k as to 4k...this was on DR's). Ive only been to the track like twice...so i was no pro at launchin it man and im still not

I ran mine on friday night...i went [email protected] on a 2.5 60 ft:eek: Im probably gonna get lit up fo that 60 ft but it was on street tires and I got all pumped up because I lined up next to this ******* in a 2000 GT Ive wanted to smoke for hella days...but there are people on these boards running the same mph with half the mods so i guess its all in the driver dude

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
95CobraOfDeath,

You're right on about bogging out of the hole. When I don't launch with enough RPM, the tires hook too hard and it bogs out really bad. On a run where I bog on the launch, I usually run about 92 - 93 MPH and lose half a second! I'm having to leave at 3000 RPM to avoid the bog.

So did you smoke the 2000 GT??

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah he dug that 2000 no problem.....

Try to leave harder with just a little wheel spin and see what happens......

He truthfull about the bog theory...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Bogging is way worse than spinning, on slower cars like ours. We just dont have the power to come out of it quickly. My lame attempts at slicks taught me this... first run I spun them launching from around 3K (hardly any burnout, maybe water on tires too) and I spun a little but the RPMs were up, and I tore out pretty good... netted a 13.99 that pass around 98mph. Then I bogged after a good burnout, and ran the time in my signature. Those 3.55s are tough to get going too. My 4.10s are not too bad, I can just ride on the clutch from 4K and get off pretty well. But I recall the stock gears were impossible, it was either bog or spin the hell out of them.

FYI I didnt get to run in Tulsa last night either :mad: they had some shootout going on and by 1AM the T&T had not begun yet, so I just drove home. Let's get to TV this friday when the gates open, so I can get a good spot in the pits to change tires :joy:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ben,

I'm ready to hit the track again Friday. I need to practice my launching so I can avoid running 15s!

If I still can't figure out why I'm down 4 MPH, I'll just start swapping parts with Ben's car until mine kicks butt ;) :D

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Haha yeah, except my car feels slow as hell. I dont know what it is. But yeah definitely we're going to the track friday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts