Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the blower bolted up no problem and it fits real nice. However, the tensioner on the 2000 block appears to be facing backwards as opposed to the 98 style.

Another words, it is facing towards the left hand side and not closest to the crank like it was before.

Am I losing my mind here or did something change?

Did the routing for the serpentine belt change as well?

I have the updated vortech bracket with the inserted idler pulley and like I said, all of that fits really really nice, no problems and all bolts fit perfectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Anyone have a schematic of how the serpentine belt routes, that would be great.

Thank you,
Tim

·
Registered
100 Posts
yes the belt routing changed in 2000. i think the 99s had troubling throwing belts.....

belt p/n is also different. a 99 belt won't fit on a 2000. no matter how you try :)

no diagram sorry

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hmmm. Tim, will the 98 tensioner bolt to the new timing cover? Or maybe you could bolt on your 98 timing cover and accessories? You are seriously moving along. Is that motor in the car already?

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
96GTCONV said:
Hmmm. Tim, will the 98 tensioner bolt to the new timing cover? Or maybe you could bolt on your 98 timing cover and accessories? You are seriously moving along. Is that motor in the car already?
No the 98 tensioner will not work.... here is how it works...

The new 2000 tensioner actually faces different if you look at it. Faces left more towards the a/c then towards the crank, is the exact opposite as the older setup. Unbelievable... I thought I was seeing things but apparently the vortech bracket is different as well to make up for the difference ---- there is a difference between 96/99 and the 2000/2001, which is the way the serpentine belt routes as well. Looks like there is two idler pulleys if you look at the diagram on vortech site.

So there you have it.... here are a few pics:

Here is a picture of the 2000 tenionser, notice it faces the exact opposite as you're used to :)

Here is a picture of the vortech mounted but I thought something was strange:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts