Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, here's the deal.

A good friend of mine will be building a car this year. The car will be more of a street brawler, weekend viper killer.

At this point, he's not sure if it'll be an auto, or five speed.

I think i've got him convinced on going 408+ n/a, Dart block based, solid roller, AFR205's or 225's or some TFS R's or Vic Jr's, probaby 10:1 compression for future nitrous use, 1 3/4" longtubes, 3" exhaust, 4.10's, tubular front suspension, custom cam, and unclear on intake. He's not looking for more than 6500rpm fwiw. Anyone out there running a carb setup like this? What type of fuel system would be needed if going efi? Would a 255 intank, 42's, stock rails and an inline pump handle that type of power?

Does anyone out there have a similar combo? What kind of power numbers can we expect?

Any ideas or comments on intake or head choice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Mine's a solid roller equipped 408 with 10.3:1 compression. AFR 205's out of the box along with a box stock Super Victor carb intake with a big Holley 1000cfm. Headers are larger 2" primaries (overkill at this point) though.

I'm pleased with it. With a loose convertor and C4 it still put down 465hp/481tq at the wheels. Easy 550hp at the crank. In my 3350lb coupe mid 10's all day. I plan to get the convertor tightened in the spring and that should gain a tenth or 2 and a few MPH. Then get the car down to a lighter 3100 race weight.

Should do bottom 10's on motor, then the nitrous will get introduced and get me booted off the track.

I can't complain.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have 11.39:1 compression in my solid roller 408(A351 block) with TFS R heads (Stage II from T.E.A.) and a modified Holley 850DP Annular ontop of a Super Victor 351W intake. It also has 2" primary headers (3 1/2" collectors) and is totally streetable, but I would prefer smaller headers, as these aren't really needed. I add Octane 108 to the fuel just to be safe until I get it tuned properly, which isn't happening now due to the engine swap in progress.

My cam is a custom design, but Comp sells it to Keith Craft, if you're interested in what they use. Keith Craft Racing Engines I like it and it's designed to reach peak power at about 5900 (for street use). It's also a nitrous cam.

If you go injected and all motor, the 42's should be fine, but the stock rails probably won't. I decided on a BG400 and a step down box, since I have nitrous too, but a BG280 would probably work fine. A 255 should work well in the setup you have in mind, with EFI, of course.

Keeping a 5 speed sounds great, but it will prove very difficult to drive well. Shifting comes fast and often with this power and torque. I tried a C4, but it died quickly, so I'm having a C6 built and I'm completely sure it won't slow me down, or break. 408's just make so much torque, it's not a concern to me.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
TC89LX, What block are you using? I started my 395ci buildup (393 .040 over) and I'm now wondering if the block can handle it. Mines a '74 vintage.

AnuttrFordguy, how well was your c4 set up? I was going to go with a PA super comp but now I'm questioning that too. I figured it would be good enough for low to mid nines at least, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
407 Posts
NXGTS said:
I started my 395ci buildup (393 .040 over) and I'm now wondering if the block can handle it. Mines a '74 vintage.

how well was your c4 set up? I was going to go with a PA super comp but now I'm questioning that too. I figured it would be good enough for low to mid nines at least, correct me if I'm wrong.
A '74 block should hold pretty well. I just wanted to go with all new stuff.

My C4 was an Art Carr and they told me it was a "full roller" and it was a reverse manual valve body, with a T-brake. SFI approved bell housing and all. I believed them when they told me it would handle street driving, because I STRONGLY questioned that before ordering and was always re-assured. Only problem, they were WRONG! :rolleyes: I had it in the car just a couple weeks and it lasted all of 7 passes, all simply "shake downs." Then I decided to use ET Streets at 14psi .... Well, BA BOOM! :barf: and that was the end of that. Wheels lifted, wheels dropped (thought it was spinning)... Slammed 2nd, got nothin' but rpm.... TOASTY CRITTER BELOW!:eek: They never did tell me what was broken, but I can tell you NO forward gears worked after that day! I should pick up my locally built C6 Monday. The only other route was a "slip-n-slide" and I don't want a 2 speed. I will say though, I would really like to have overdrive. Just can't really afford a LennTech. I know other guys using C4's but they aren't street/daily driven cars like mine. PA is about the best there is though, when it comes to C4's.
EDIT: BTW, I will likely be selling my PA SFI 29.1 (or whatever) flexplate soon. If you're going with a PA C4 and want one with LOW mileage, price there's and make me an offer. I'll know in a few days whether or not I'm selling it. ;)

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Yeah, I've already weighed my options on the overdrive and decided it's time to buy a trailor for going to the races. Mine isn't daily driven now anyway, I just take it out for a spin to the grocerie store every once in a while when the weather is nice. It's a '95 and only has 34K. It honestly gets driven about 2k a year if that.

Are you considering selling the flexplate or the whole setup minus tranny? More info. PM me if you'd like.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
NXGTS said:
TC89LX, What block are you using? I started my 395ci buildup (393 .040 over) and I'm now wondering if the block can handle it. Mines a '74 vintage.

Mine's stuffed into a vintage girdled 1988 F150 block LOL! Fingers crossed at this point but eventually I'll be moving over to a big bore (4.125") DART block for soem bigger cubes.

I run a Dynamic C4 behind mine. Same tranny that was behind my blown 302. This summer will be 2 years on it with plenty of abuse, although I am cracking it open to add a transbrake. Good stuff and hasn't failed me yet either on the street or the strip.

·
Registered
407 Posts
NXGTS said:
Are you considering selling the flexplate or the whole setup minus tranny? More info. PM me if you'd like.
I've simply returned everything else, since it was "defective" by design quality... So all I have left is the flexplate itself, which was purchased seperately. Since it wasn't defective, or bought with the rest of the parts, I couldn't return it. I may still have need for it, but I should know by tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts