Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 1990 Mustang GT and had to sell it after getting a DUI, mods are in my sig. While I was at college my mom gave my brother her 89 Mercedes 560 SEL so she in turn bought a 2002 Mustang GT, automatic, atlantic blue. Boy does it look nice, she even got the torque thrust grey rims also, so it looks great.

Any suggestions on this modular motor? As you can see i'm only used to the windsor motor. Thanks guys.

-Marty

·
Registered
749 Posts
your mom wants to go fast in her new GT?

I would go with a minimum of 4.10 gears in a new GT automatic for starters

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good suggestions, but I don't think my mom's ready for the increased gear ratio yet, plus it costs a lot to install those. Keyword in this thread is, "free." Anything there from the factory that is easy to tweak to get some more pep out of the car? Thanks guys.

-Marty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Remove the air silencer (and maybe spend $45-50 on a K&N filter to replace your paper one.)

·
Registered
180 Posts
There really aren't any free mods. The car makes more power with the silencer in place. The IAT (Intake Air Temperature) resistor mod doesn't work. It does fool the computer into thinking it is colder and thereby increasing timing, but it also gives the computer a false sense of the density of ambient air since cooler air is more dense, and subsequently causes a rich condition.

Bottom line, Ford made sure the freebie tweakers had nothing to do. Best first mods - lowering springs, Hi-Flow H-Pipe, Shifter, Pulleys and definitely gears.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Leave it stock and let her enjoy it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts