Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! :)

Here a new owner of a '03 Dark Grey GT :) and want to modify it with supercharger! I'm used to turbo import cars so everything is new for me with this car, parts brands, way to modify it, so I have few questions :)

How much HP or WHP the 4.6L can support with stock internal ? Because this is gonna be my goal, to reach the max hp while staying safe. :D

Can the stock fuel management support this HP ? Or we need to change fuel pump, injectors, fpr ? What's the size of the stock injectors?

What's the equivalence of the s-afc (import cars) for stang ? To adjust air/fuel ratio ? I made a little search and I think its the Mafterburner, something like that ?

Is there cheap logger for knock, timing, etc ? Or any OBDII logger will do the job?

What supercharger brand and model are good for my HP goal? I'm looking for a bolt-on kit, without relocating everything like when modifying an import car! Kenny Bell looks great S/C but I think they are too hardcore for my HP goal hehe.

A local guy here have a Procharger setup on his GT, his car rules! He upgraded the s/c this summer and now, no one can pass him. :evil: But he did the engine internal, etc...

Well, enough with the questions hehe, i'll probably have others soon! :)

Thanks Guys!
l4m4r!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Safe on stock internals all depends on the tune..Average 400rwhp is a nice umber depending on your other mods..

Dont use import stuff(ideas) here we have stuff that really works ;).
We have software/hardware packages that allow us to tune anything we want in our cars.

With a charger you are gonna need injectors(42's),maf(90mm lightning maf for stock internals),and a pump(focus,03/04 cobra pumps,or steeda pumps).

Your best bet for a long engine life is have it tuned by a professional tuner..

·
Registered
516 Posts
Read my sig. My car is under tuned for safety. With a mid-pipe and new lower intake (when available) I should be close to 400 rwp, which is the highest I would go with stock internal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
white99gt said:
Safe on stock internals all depends on the tune..Average 400rwhp is a nice umber depending on your other mods..

Dont use import stuff(ideas) here we have stuff that really works ;).
We have software/hardware packages that allow us to tune anything we want in our cars.

With a charger you are gonna need injectors(42's),maf(90mm lightning maf for stock internals),and a pump(focus,03/04 cobra pumps,or steeda pumps).

Your best bet for a long engine life is have it tuned by a professional tuner..
The above advice is spot on. If you need advice on a supercharger go with the Vortech. Get the basic "tuner" kit so you can add all the right stuff (42 lb injectors, 90 mm Lightning Maf, 03/04 cobra pumps,or steeda pumps).

Find a good tuner and make sure that your car does not detonate when he's done.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for informations guys! :)

400whp will be enough for me before I do an internal job or swap for a 4V next summer :evil:

What soft/hardware do you use for tuning ?

And what do you think of Kenne Bell supercharger ? I heard they are good quality and give a instant torque power instead of the other centrifugal superchargers, who has lag like turbos.

I think I'll go for Steeda exhaust, FIC injectors, Walbro pump, Lightning MAF, Autometer gauge for right now. And wait for the rear end gear, to see what kind of horsepower I have to put to the ground, with the supercharger...

Thanks Again :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Whatever you do, do not install that walbro unit, they are desinged for return style fuel systems. Mine went down after a month of usage. You will learn as you do more research that this pump is not the best choice at all for a returnless fuel system car. I'm running an aviator pump which I was told was rated at 284lph and it's working awesome. I'm running a Vortech S/Q with gutted cats, 4:10's, 30lb ford racing injectors, aviator fuel pump, dual flowmasters and my rear wheel hp is 360, which the dyno guy said was 422hp at the fly wheel give or take. I'm also using a diablo chip for tuning.:evil:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thx!

Just wanted to put a Walbro because I can have them for very cheap, and they do pump for Stang...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those pumps(walbro) work fine on 98 or older Mustangs, but from 99 and up, Ford equiped the newer Mustangs with the returnless fuel system. The walbro unit will not be able to handle the variable voltage from the returnless fuel system. I learned the hard way. My aviator pump was about 185.00 and I ordered it from the parts section at modular depot. You will have to take out the motor from this aviator pump and swap it into your sock one and it will bolt right on. Just don't run your car with anything less than quarter of a tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also had the same goal as you, and got 387/386 with the vortech, power pipe, pro-m maf, 42# injectors, l/t headers, H-pipe, and focus fuel pump. My tune is very safe at 12:1 and starts to head towards 11.5:1 @ 5k rpms. You don't really need a stand alone computer or anything like that found on imports, just a chip and a good tuner. I had good luck with SCT.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Those pumps(walbro) work fine on 98 or older Mustangs, but from 99 and up, Ford equiped the newer Mustangs with the returnless fuel system. The walbro unit will not be able to handle the variable voltage from the returnless fuel system. I learned the hard way. My aviator pump was about 185.00 and I ordered it from the parts section at modular depot. You will have to take out the motor from this aviator pump and swap it into your stock one and it will bolt right on. Just don't run your car with anything less than quarter of a tank.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed the Vortech last year but I think if I had to do it over again I would go with the Kenne Bell. After buying the Vortech and the aftercooler I had $4525.00 invested not including the 2004 Cobra dual pumps and tank. I will speak highly of the Cobra fuel system and noticed I have NO surging problems like I had with the Walbro pump. Walbro pumps are fine for the older Mustangs but Vortech should be ashamed to include it in their kits for the new Stangs! Depending on your other bolt on parts I would say stick to around 10 lbs of boost on the stock internals. Anything more would probably be too much for the stock motor to handle. A Lightning MAF and 42lb injectors should also be on your wish list. Again, as far as superchargers are concerned, Vortech, Paxton, ATI, and Kenne Bell all make fine units.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went with the kenne bell 9 psi kit. Its a complete kit and you won't have to hunt for parts! The power is there on demand at any rpm. Two thumbs up!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
red02 said:
I went with the kenne bell 9 psi kit. Its a complete kit and you won't have to hunt for parts! The power is there on demand at any rpm. Two thumbs up!
Nice! :)

I really want a Kenne Bell! Do you think the kit with 9 psi intercooled, is the perfect setup for my goal ? ~400whp... With the normal bolt-on, exhaust, pump, 90mm maf, 75mm throttle body. etc...

Do you know what is the SWITCH CHIP for $99 extra ?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
They say its 400 rwhp with cat back exhaust and all stock parts. The switch chip is a chip with a more advance timing and leaner fuel ratio. For more info their web site is www.kennebell.net They wont sell you a switch chip with out their inlet kit. I dont think you can go wrong with this kit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
red02 said:
They say its 400 rwhp with cat back exhaust and all stock parts. The switch chip is a chip with a more advance timing and leaner fuel ratio. For more info their web site is www.kennebell.net They wont sell you a switch chip with out their inlet kit. I dont think you can go wrong with this kit.
Okay thanks! I was searching for "kenny bell" instead of "kenne bell" hehe

And thanks to everyone too!

Do you guys think it's better to put 1-2 more psi on the supercharger or to install the bolt-on like oversized throttle body, 90maf?

if I look at the whp chart on kenne bells website, it says 430whp at 9 psi with bolt-on, and 435whp at 11 psi without bolt-on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Stick with stock throttle body and mass air. I think you will be very surprised with the power output! You can always up grade later if you need more power. 9 psi is the most they recommend with a stock motor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
what kind of number can you turn with a stock maf and throttle body with a charger. That is the situation i'm in also. I have a blower waiting on me and I can't decide on those two things. But I want to make some power though. I will be running 9 psi also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kenne Bell claims about 400 RWHP. Sure feels like to me! I'm hoping to get it dynoed sometime this summer to get the real numbers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts