Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question involving Quarterhorse by Moates.

To start off, I have a mildly built 302 H.O. cammed, roller rockers, hardened springs, performance valve job, gt40 heads and intake.

I noticed it is running VERY rich. Would I be able to change the air/fuel ratio with QH?
I also want to do some tuning on my own just to know what I am doing.

My question is how hard would it be for two people(father and son) who know nothing about engine tuning to tune my A9l computer?

·
US Army Retired
5,323 Posts
Learning to tune with a Moates QH is not an overnight process. Its ateep learning curve to say the least and in the end will cost just as much as a custum dynotune in most cases. You will have the price of the Moates qh, BE 2012 license, wideband and I would recommend getting the book by Lasota racing when it comes to tuning.

In fact the first thing you need to do is talk to Adam at Popsracing. Talk with him for a bit and see if the QH setup is even for you. Don't just email him pick up the phone and talk to him.

POPSRACING.COM Contact info.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
If you purchase your Quaterhorse through Power Adder Solutions they will load a tune on it for you based on your set-up, This is what I did and they had my car running great. I believe there are a couple of other tuners that offer this as well. This gives you time to learn while having a good base tune.

Although with your mild set-up you shouldn't need a Quaterhorse to fix your a/f ratio. It would allow you the flexibility for tunning future upgrades though.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
It's not that hard if an idiot like me can make a car like mine run like a champ. Tanke your time. Make small changes and enjoy that you'll never need to wait on your tuner again.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
you can do almost anything with the QH/BE combo, even live tuning while the engine is running. you will need a laptop though. for your limited mods, you might be better served with mail order tuning. do you have a wideband or are you assuming rich with your nose? if you don't have a wideband, I would recommend getting one. go with the AEM, it will live longer(and its cheaper). it will be worth its weight in gold if you go ahead with the DoItYourself learning adventure with the software.

Dirty Dirty Racing, Vehicle EFI Dyno & Street Tuning check with this guy about getting setup with a tune and a quarterhorse. he has a very fast turn around, and his stuff is pretty spot on out of the box.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I second Willy @ DirtyDirty. All I've had to do is data-log and send him my results. He adjusts the tune, and sends it back to me. Upload the new tune and I'm on my way.

Can't beat that.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Learning to tune with a Moates QH is not an overnight process. Its ateep learning curve to say the least and in the end will cost just as much as a custum dynotune in most cases. You will have the price of the Moates qh, BE 2012 license, wideband and I would recommend getting the book by Lasota racing when it comes to tuning.

In fact the first thing you need to do is talk to Adam at Popsracing. Talk with him for a bit and see if the QH setup is even for you. Don't just email him pick up the phone and talk to him.

POPSRACING.COM Contact info.
this right here, Adam knows his stuff and is a very nice guy. I did have to tell him to slow down a couple times though. LOL That guy is a brain, and had to explain some stuff to me

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
I don't trust mail order anything. EVERY car is different. What works well on one car will not work on another.

Just start simple and play with it. You've got the perfect setup to learn on.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you have a lot of time and a good understanding of what your engine needs you can handle it. Go here: EFIDYNOTUNING • Index page and read everything, it'll get you going. Really focus on decipha's tuning101 stuff. EECtuning.org is also good but has been down for a while now.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
If you have a lot of time and a good understanding of what your engine needs you can handle it. Go here: EFIDYNOTUNING • Index page and read everything, it'll get you going. Really focus on decipha's tuning101 stuff. EECtuning.org is also good but has been down for a while now.
Its been back up for maybe a week, now.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Yup eectuning lives on!!

·
US Army Retired
5,323 Posts
Do your research before you purchase anything!

If you don't know what a pid, strategy, or scaling is find out first. If you need a hand find a tuner that will that will talk to you in a way that you understand or at least can break the information down. Don't take anybodies word here, pick up the phone and talk to at least two or three tuners.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Do your research before you purchase anything!

If you don't know what a pid, strategy, or scaling is find out first. If you need a hand find a tuner that will that will talk to you in a way that you understand or at least can break the information down. Don't take anybodies word here, pick up the phone and talk to at least two or three tuners.
Even better you can download Binary Editor FREE and play with it. You just can't save any tunes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Even better you can download Binary Editor FREE and play with it. You just can't save any tunes.
:nod:

I use tunerpro RT and like it. It's not as user friendly as BE, but it's free.

I read everything I could get my hands on for a couple months before I took the plunge and bought the QH.

It will take a long time to figure out all the details of the tune. I look at the tune as a totally separate project from the car, it helps prevent me from rushing.

Within a few days of datalogging and adjusting, my tune was probably 90% there, safe to take out and beat on the car. I've been messing with the last 10% for a few months now.

I agree with melo yelo in the sense that you need to research a ton before you invest the money. There's a lot of free good info out there, but it will take sifting through it to see what's good and bad. He's also correct that you will spend the same on hardware to tune that you will spend on a good tune by a pro.

The flip side is if you tune yourself you can always adjust and tweak if you feel the need. There's also satisfaction in a job well done by yourself. I've read too many stories about "pro's" that only do the first 80-90% of the tune and drivability suffers because of it.

The complexity of the tune increases with forced induction or added cubes, keep that in mind as well. I have a basic H/C/I setup on a stock displacement engine, the hardest thing I had to compensate for was the overlap on my cam.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
:nod:

I use tunerpro RT and like it. It's not as user friendly as BE, but it's free.

I read everything I could get my hands on for a couple months before I took the plunge and bought the QH.

It will take a long time to figure out all the details of the tune. I look at the tune as a totally separate project from the car, it helps prevent me from rushing.

Within a few days of datalogging and adjusting, my tune was probably 90% there, safe to take out and beat on the car. I've been messing with the last 10% for a few months now.

I agree with melo yelo in the sense that you need to research a ton before you invest the money. There's a lot of free good info out there, but it will take sifting through it to see what's good and bad. He's also correct that you will spend the same on hardware to tune that you will spend on a good tune by a pro.

The flip side is if you tune yourself you can always adjust and tweak if you feel the need. There's also satisfaction in a job well done by yourself. I've read too many stories about "pro's" that only do the first 80-90% of the tune and drivability suffers because of it.

The complexity of the tune increases with forced induction or added cubes, keep that in mind as well. I have a basic H/C/I setup on a stock displacement engine, the hardest thing I had to compensate for was the overlap on my cam.
Couldn't agree more. Most tuners throw what tricks they know into the tune then make it safe for WOT on the dyno. WOT is the easy part IMHO. Its making crazy combinations run well on the street that takes all the work. In their defense of course no two cars are the same and I've seen some of the non-researched thrown together #### that shows up on my friends dyno and customers expect it to run like buttah.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
+1 on Tuner Pro R/T. Use it here and though it's free, it worth donating.

But 1st, what EEC are you planning to use? That's really important in choosing what you want:

For pre-93's A9L setups, all the custom chip/tune stuff is overkill: the PMS, and other similar boxes are rock solid & simple for upto pro setups. Even Tweecters produce the same results. Also, there's only a handful of tuners out there that can tune A9L's well (i.e. for drivability), everyone else resorts to upping the f.p. and timing for WOT (aka old school). It's because there's no datalogging w/most chips available for these EECs (except for the tweecter).

For 94-5's, I've never seen a tuner (i.e. SCT, Diablo, Jet, etc...) get better results than a tweecter or QH setup. I had one tuner installed an SCT and I lost 30whp, against my crappy EEC-T "emission's" tune. And most pros convert to FAST at that point...

For 96+: SCT wins hands down unless you go FAST/complete swap. You get so much info from an OBDII setup that all tuners now have the same set of tricks available--though every car is different, a tuner has a huge set of options to try since one can datalog nearly everything on the system.

I run a QH with an Innovative LM-1, and RPM AUX box. I say it's a setup for under $600. I added a ebay BAP sensor for boost readings and feed in rpms from the tach. TunerRT does great datalogging as well as the LM-1. I've been programming 94/5s for a long time (since the JMS chip), but my fail is not having easy access to a dyno (for cheap). And track tuning can be time consuming (waiting between rounds).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts