Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a set for my new 302 build to kinda up the compression a bit

are they worth looking at most VWs run them and if put on a car that dont call for it (mk3 VR6) the gasket will add half a point of compression..(10:1 to 10.5:1)

are they reliable??

same for copper header gaskets are they worth it??

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TTT need to know about these before i buy them please anyone out there using them??

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I use them on supercharged applications and think they are well worth it. You can order them from folks like Cometic in different thicknesses so you can lower comp ratio if you like.

·
Registered
402 Posts
DO NOT varry head gasket thickness to tweak your compression. That has to do with your piston to deck height and quench area. Research your quench area before you buy gaskets.

If you got the money go for the MLS though.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome im pretty sure the motor i have has been rebuild the pistons arent dished like my 87 stang was

its out of a 93 f-150 roller block and the pistons are flat top with 4 valve reliefs no stamping that says .030 or anything but the bore does come in over 4.00" so it may be a 306 not that it matters just saying it could have had work done at one point

its going to be a N/A build

mustangnut: help me remember what the quench area is?? ill be running a stock 351w roller cam(.472" lift vs. stock roller stang .444" lift) with adjustable 1.6 roller rockers

ill probably check PTV clearance to be safe can i use a used head gasket for that?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quench is your distance from the top flat edge of the piston to the flat spot on the cylinder head distance. Depending on the source I've seen recommendations of .035"-.045". Shoot for around .040" and you'll be ok.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sweet ok i just couldnt remember also is there anything special i should do to the surfaces? like a copper spray or anything?

·
Registered
871 Posts
no special spray they are already coated, the cometics are great gaskets, i have them on a 13:1 363 with a 300 shot...im confident it wont be a head gasket that fails. i have been using them for about 7 years and been impressed with the quality. they say they can be re-used but i would only do that in extreme cases (like a rebuild at the track) .040 is a perfect compression thickness on the gastket if you need lower comp def change pistons or a bigger chamber head is the most ideal way. Have some coin ready when you order the gaskets the aint cheap...but it is cheap insurance

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
supposed to have 130k on it but it looks to have been rebuilt at some point

i cleaned all the dirt out and plan to fully clean the oil/coolant gallies maybe a light hone is in order to idk what do you guys think? i think its worth $100 i paid for it

ok here is pics of the new motor:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
plans changed for me turns out the E7 heads on the motor in my car are "O" ringed so much for MLS gaskets

·
Registered
871 Posts
easy fix just have the heads milled till the groove is gone...should bump your compression a little too, just have to run premium fuel and make sure the tune is on...its no big deal i milled the o-ring out of my canfields so i could run MLS gaskets...not sure what kinda budget your working with, as far as the motor its really hard to tell if its worth building until some measurements are taken, if your budget is that tight you could take your chances and just hone it and toss some bearings in it. If it ran well and didnt burn oil when it was pulled it might still be ok

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sweet thanks!

i was told it didnt burn anything and ran good but i dont really trust craigslist ahhaa

i have a super tight budget but you just saved me from having to rebuild the 93 short block completely lol i do plan to check the bottom end bearings and if they look used(conventional oil motor) ill probably have the crank ground .010 under on the mains and rods and buy new bearings to be safe

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
on a different note anyone know the "CC" of stock E7s?

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NM i found it 61.5cc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts