Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did post here a few months ago about this, but I ran more tests since then. Here goes.........After I blew my engine I put a SHM shortblock in. Ever since then the SES light blinks at idle only (but is always on). I ran codes and it said cylinder 6 and 8 were misfiring. But it seems the whole bank is just barely alive. I can unplug up to 2 coils at once and the engine runs the same. The passengers side is running fine. I ran a leakdown test and all cylinders are less than 10% and in the green. I was wondering if anyone knows the effect if the camshaft on the bad side was off just one tooth on the chain. Would it not run or be alot worse than it is? The engine idles rough a little at idle, but its barely noticeable. At 900 rpm the whole car shakes like someones outside rocking the car. Then rpms after that its seems smooth again, except for the lack of power. Ive heard talk of torque of crank pully bolts and things of that nature. But would that cause only one bank to misfire.... Ive been trying to figure this out for 4 months. I trying to avoid another rebuild if possible...........Any input for causes or anyone having or had similar experiences would be a lifesaver.........Thanx

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I meant cylinders 5-8

·
Registered
368 Posts
Maybe the cams a tooth off. can even run at 180' out just like you described. Leak down less that 10%? What about a compression test on all cylinders.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a compression check with only 300 miles on it, and i was getting 140 on 6 and 8 and 105 on 5. But that might be from the rings not seated yet. I now have 3000 miles on it and Im doing another one on Tuesday, just to see if thats why it was low

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And there is no smoke or anything from burning oil and no oil in the cylinders if that helps

·
Registered
368 Posts
What was the compression on the right bank? 140 and 105 is not good. But if leak down showed less than 10%. then count on have a valve train/cam timming problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i never got around to the other side. I was at a dyno shop and he was just doing a quick diagnostic, off the record. I will have more complete results Tuesday when I do it more thoroughly.. (sp?)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Mine has just started doing similar mess.....idled a tad rough after my ported SVO headswap (in early Jan.), but I attributed that to the porting and '99 cams, then 2 weeks ago it threw a blinking SES like what your talking about.....my best guess for mine are the lifters because of the size of the cam, I've got modmax valvesprings for the SVO heads which are rated @ .531" max lift and the exhaust cam on the '99 set is .540" lift.....so I'm thinking maybe a wornout lifter or 2 or 3 or more......

A malfunctioning lifter might be your problem as well.....worth a check and all it involves is removal of the valve covers.....

SJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are so many things that could be wrong, that I dont think I have the knowledge or equipment to find it. I did put the engine in myself, but everybody knows troubleshooting is harder than installing sometimes........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts