Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I striped down my block to just a short block. I was going to go further but I desided not too. The engine has been sitting out like this( inside the car) for about 2 months and as accumlated minor rust in the cylinder walls.

I was going to rebuild it so thats why I never oiled her.

So what do I do? I want to build her back up using better heads and so forth.....

REmus

·
Registered
974 Posts
a scotch brite pad,with some oil or something like it will work,
real gentley on the walls!,most people would roll with it though
better to be safe then sorry I think?its up to you man.
good luck.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
It didn't get RAINED on or anything did it?? 2 months accumulation of rust from a slightly damp environment should not be a whole lot. Do like t-trim said just to be safe, though the piston rings would make short work of light surface rust once it was fired back up. More important is to be sure the block decks are clean and shiny when gaskets are put on it.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i had a similar thing happen to me, i used wd40 and then i just rubed it with my fingers then used the air hose. But if it did not get rained on, its not a big deal

-marcel

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hell Yea!

You guys are great! Dont know what I would do without this site!!

Anyhow, RayIII, no it did not get rained on.

However I do remember now. The rust came from the antifreeze spillage when I was taking the heads off. The minor spillage did not trouble me at the time due to the fact that I had a complete rebuild in mind.

Hay t-trim 93, or anybody else, I just bought some emery cloth could I use that as well?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to butt in, but I had the same problem. I pulled the heads on my 289 and coolant spilled down in there, so my cylinder walls got minor rust on it. My question is since I got some coolant in my oil, should I change it, put some cheap oil in, the change it again right away like 10 minutes run then change to be sure it is all out?

Thanks!

-Brad

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Yeah, I would definitly change the oil. Depending on how long and how much coolant is in the oil... Its probably all made its way to the pan, so one change would be fine.... But its totally up to you.. If you feel like doing two oil changes.... I guess it never hurts.

Kyle

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
After a head job the engine should be run to warm up and clean itself out then change the oil and filter. It's not just the coolant, you also get crap from headgasket material and foreign debris into the motor.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
FL1-A said:
Hay t-trim 93, or anybody else, I just bought some emery cloth could I use that as well?
Emery cloth will put some deep scratches in the cylinder walls. Not a good idea. Use Scotch Brite instead. You could also use steel wool, either way you'll have to clean out the fragments of debris (which won't matter if it's a rebuild).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Guys, don't worry I planned on changing the oil anyways, just didn't know if I would have to do it twice or not. I really don't want to overbore or anything so thats good news that I don't have to worry about that rust! 96K original miles on my '67. You sure don't see that very often. P.S. what do you guys think of mechanical cams?

-Brad

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info Gary L and madmaxN it took me about 2 years to think up a name like that....... j/k :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts