Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally have my engine together after a long winter.

My problem now that it will not start. I installed a used mini-starter (93-up) that I got from the Corral with a PA performance wiring kit.

Well, when I would try to start it, the starter would spin, but it was not engaging with the flywheel.

I pulled the starter, had it checked at Autozone, and said it was bad "it is only puting out 50 amps, should be 150", and sold me a new starter.:rolleyes:

Installed that, no difference. Starter spins, but does not engage the flywheel.

As a wild guess, I replaced the fender mounted solenoid as well, gave that a try, and no difference.:mad:

So, at this point I am thinking that one of two things is wrong:
1) Autozone sold me a bum starter :eek: , like that could never happen, right??? ;)

2) The starter is not mounted right to engage with the flywheel/flyweel is not mounted right.

Saturday I plan on pulling the new starter, and having AZ check it to see what they say about that. At the same time I am going to try and measure where the flywheel is vs. where the starter gear is to see if that is ok.

Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas that I should be checking? Is there any special mounting for a 93-up starter in an 89? I am using the stock bellhousing with a FMS billet flywheel.

Thanks for any help, at this point it this whole thing is making me :livid: and :barf:

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Did you rewire it first?

The big cable should be "hot" all the time. A smaller wire goes from the fender mount solinoid to the solinoid on the starter. Get rid of the AZ piece of crap. My AZ starter hung up on me after only 5 months and woundn't quit cranking the motor over.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the wiring setup that I have.

The stock starter wire was moved from the "front" post on the solenoid to the "back" one with the battery cable.

This wire is then connected to the top post on the new starter.

The PA wire was attached to the "front" post on the solenoid. It is the only wire there.

It is then routed down to the bottom post on the new starter, the one that has the wire connected to it going into the starter body.

I rechecked the directions/pictures on the PA instuctions, and confirmed with them through e-mail that it "appears" to be right.

This may be my last dealing with AZ. If I go back and the new starter is tested "OK" but looks the same as my old one... I am going to be sooo:mad: .

I need to quit being so lazy because AZ is so close to me and use Murray's and/or NAPA more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts