Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how does milling the heads affect the timing chains i know it will give them a bit more slack but is it taken up by the tensioners. or do you need to get anything else to mill the heads and keep it in time?

·
Registered
568 Posts
It depends on how much you want to mill them. If it's just to smooth the surface, then don't worry. If you've ever seen slightly worn guides, you'd see that the tensioners are able to compensate for thousands of times more wear in the guides than the slack generated by milling heads. If you're looking to gain big compression points, then I'd wait for the pro engine builders to chime in like VT Engines.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i was wondering how milling heads for compression would affect things. i'm going with aftermarket cams with higher lift although nothing what i call extreme comp cams .550. so would piston to valve be a problem and are there any real benefits of milling the heads for this. do you gain much compression for the cost etc. and i knew alot of ohc engines had to run a shime to make up for the slack in just decking the heads. covering all my bases.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
my heads were milled ever so slightly just because one was slightly warped. from what i've seen and read the most you really want to mill OHC heads is .010. the most i would ever take off would be .005 but that's just me. hope this helps.

marcus

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
FWIW... My heads are at Renegade Racing being ported, etc. His is milling them .010". From what I understand, he does this with all the heads that come thru.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts