Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my stituation:

I installed new Autolite 764 plugs on 1/19. The car ran fine on 1/20 and then the evening on 1/21, I noticed a very rough idle and it felt like the car was stumbling when taking off normaly in 1st gear until like 2000 rpms.

After driving it a few more times, I finally got a MIL light. Ran down to Autozone and it was a P0301 - cylinder #1 misfire code. When I got home and car had cooled off, I put the stock plug back in the car. That was the evening on 1/23. I drove it to work this morning(1/26), and I am feeling the same stumbling in low rpms in 1st gear. Once the car gets up to normal operating temp, it seems to go away. Went to lunch and it was running ok, but the idle was still kinda rough. I left my parking garage and drove for about 5mins over to Borders. Came out of Borders after 15mins and the car was stumbling in 1st gear.

I am thinking about switching out all my plugs to my old stock plugs to see if that resolves the problem. If that does, I will go and get some Motorcraft AWFS-22Cs and see what happens.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
sounds like a coil pack

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the #1 cylinder plug with a brand new Autolite 764 last night. I also visually inspected the coil-on-plug adapter and I blew out any debri with some compressed air. Put everything back together and started the car. It idled good for about 8 minutes then I shut it off and called it a night.

This morning on the way to meet some guys for breakfast, it ran fine for about 15mins, then it just started acting up again. Very bad hesitation, felt like it was misfiring or I had some bad gasoline or something. On the way to work, it ran the worst it ever has since I changed my plugs. My idle was even staying at 1200 rpms when the clutch was depressed at a stop light. Not sure if that was from the cold weather (38-40 degrees) or not.

I think I am going to put all my stock plugs back in the car and test that. If it still runs bad, I guess I will have to look else where.

Does anyone know how to test a coil-on-plug device? Maybe one of my coil-on-plug devices went south when I was changing the plugs. I can't think of anything else and this all started after I changed to Autolite 764s. Do some cars not like the 764s???

Any input?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Did the end of the Coil On Pack look Grey? It is not uncommon that they misfire internally in the Spark Plug hole and you won't see the probelm. While the car is running pull the plug from the injector to see if it is working. You should get a change in Idle quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts