Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

These Mid Length Headers for 302 and 351W FOX chassis Mustangs use the same flange as our Long Tubes and the same collectors. The only difference between a Long Tube Header and a Mid Length Header is the length of the primaries. They are less weight, they cost less, and they can easily be installed from the top of the engine compartment. They can be run as-is (for race cars, with open headers) or you can have any muffler shop connect the collectors to a full exhaust system for street cars. The 1 3/4" and the 1 7/8" Mid Length Headers have 3" collectors, and the 2" Mid Lengths use a 3 1/2" collector. We have all out drag cars running these headers. Racers like the fact that they weigh less than Long Tubes or Front Exit headers, and they do not get in the way of transmission swaps, clutch replacments or converter changes. The actual horsepower difference between Long Tube Headers and Mid Length headers is minimal, you may lose 6 to 8 HP with the Mid Lengths compared to the same primary size Long Tube Headers (we have done dyno tests on this). And if you are running a full exhaust system with mufflers, the HP difference is less than that.

George Klass
RCI Custom Headers
(909) 552-3690
[email protected]
www.rciheaders.com

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Of course they’re different, they have different names :sneaky:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Those headers looks good for being shorties

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Only issue I had was a minor adjustment to one of the bolt holes (see ovaled hole at top). The only bad welding was my crappy welding of the v-clamp end to the collector.

Reactions: Carpenter78

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I have a set of old Accufab mid-lengths in 1.75" on my 349 stroker, raised exhaust ports, 'vert poly mounts with the motor set back 1" in the MM K. No weld, fitment or clearance issues even at the steering shaft. Pretty much used a standard after market off-road x-pipe with slip-fit collector reducers and added cats. Great ground clearance for my lowered, autocross, OT, street car. Plenty happy with this solution.

·
USAF retired
9,197 Posts
I'm sensing some anger and possible disgruntledness.....
Not been my experience in the two sets I've owned. Only issue was to dimple the tube a little where the bolt head would clear, I didn't consider that bad.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
I love my set of long tubes. I cut the header flange between cyls 1/2/3 on the passenger side to ease installation, and between cyl 6/7 on the drivers side because of the steering shaft on the drivers side. My headers are 2" to 2 1/8" stepped with a slip on 4" collector, so that explains the reasoning for that. But the welds are spot on, the customer service was perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful welding beads are great to look at, and we can do it if anyone wants. But they take much more time to do and "time is money" (the customers money in this case). We use heavy wall tubing which means we need deep penetration welds. We don't want them to leak and we don't want them to break. Laying down pretty beads bumps up the cost, in some case by as much as double, and there is no actual benefit, other than cosmetics. But if the cosmetics are important to you, the costs difference is ilisted in the OPTIONS section on our website www.rciheaders.com

·
Registered
154 Posts
Beautiful welding beads are great to look at, and we can do it if anyone wants. But they take much more time to do and "time is money" (the customers money in this case). We use heavy wall tubing which means we need deep penetration welds. We don't want them to leak and we don't want them to break. Laying down pretty beads bumps up the cost, in some case by as much as double, and there is no actual benefit, other than cosmetics. But if the cosmetics are important to you, the costs difference is ilisted in the OPTIONS section on our website www.rciheaders.com
not sure I’d buy parts from a company that charges extra just for diligence...

·
Registered
4,200 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Says the American who will buy Chinese junk to save a dollar...
Do we know each other? How do you know my purchase history?
I believe you get what you pay for and I’m well aware that my money doesn’t go far with Chinese goods.

hell I went as far as buying a wallet made out of American deer hide from a lady on Etsy for $40. so don’t talk to me about where I spend my money

Edit: they’re actually quite nice. I highly recommend one

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Lol. It was directed at US - Americans as a whole. Don't take stuff so personally. You're the one in here attacking an American vendor for providing a common sense answer as to why it costs more to provide aesthetically pleasing welds. I provided a picture above of their typical welds - they are strong and look very good - do you have a problem with them? I certainly don't. They're headers, not drinking glasses.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would rather see a company, regardless of where they’re from, produce a product to the best of their ability for form and function and then let the market sort it out.
I do inspections for a living. I can provide a good inspection with the low setting on my flashlight. Does that mean I should charge extra for turning my flashlight on high?

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
produce a product to the best of their ability for form and function
Isn't that exactly what they are providing? I'm not sure what your point is.

Reactions: tony soprano

·
Registered
154 Posts
My point is I would make the best “widget” I could possibly make and charge accordingly for it.

I like the idea of these headers but I wouldn’t choose to pay extra for “aesthetically pleasing welds“. I’d just save my money and buy a better all around product.

But if what they do works for them then so be it. This is just one opinion.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
works for them
I'm saying they work for me, in a real application. There's a ton of room near the steering shaft which is a huge benefit compared to the MAC shorties.

Reactions: Carpenter78

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I would rather see a company, regardless of where they’re from, produce a product to the best of their ability for form and function and then let the market sort it out.
I do inspections for a living. I can provide a good inspection with the low setting on my flashlight. Does that mean I should charge extra for turning my flashlight on high?
I don’t understand why you would take issue with a company allowing people to try and save some money.

You’re comparing apples to oranges here. Inspections and fabrication are worlds apart.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts