Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether to purchase mechanical or electrical, oil pressure, water temp guages. I was wondering if the guages hooked up the same? I know there is a place to tap into the oil pressure with a sender. Does a mechanical guage wire in the same as an electric guage, minus the electronic sender? I like how the mechanical guages have a full sweep range. Any help is appreciated.

Ryan

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the fuel pressure gauge works the same way, then the electrical sender just connects to the line and has a connection on it for the wire that runs to the gauge inside the car. Electrical is more expensive, but it is a lot easier to hook up.. much more flexible with where you run the wire, etc. My fuel pressure gauge is full sweep and is electrical, I am pretty sure you can get all the electrical gauges in full sweep.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does anyone know if they do make them in full sweep? I really want the full sweep guages but im worried about going with mechanical because of leaks. If anyone has any part numbers it would be helpful.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ATM-6153 is an electrical full sweep. It's the Cobalt series and will probably cost about $200, but if you really want it.... :p

·
Registered
628 Posts
What does full sweep mean, are the mechanical safe to use?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Full sweep means the needle sweeps the entire face of the gauge instead of only the top 1/4.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm in the "process" of connecting a mechanical fuel pressure gauge inside the car. PITA!!! Saw in the autometer catalog-mechanical/isolator= 49.99 Got PN4309. NO LINES!! Called Summit, said I needed PN5282 to mount inside of car (gauge isolator). Got that. Found out it has a 4AN fitting on the fuel side, need a 1/16 pipe fitting to go into the fuel rail. No hi-po shops here have the parts. JBA had the adapter for 1/16 to 1/8th, but that was it. Searched just about every other speed shop, no luck with the other parts needed. Finally went to a hydraulic hose shop=everything needed. Would have been nice for some literature in the catalog. For Mustang, get PNxxxx, xxxx, xxxx and xxxx ect. Would have been nice for the monkey working the phones at Summit to know a little more than his a$$ from a hole in the ground.

Sorry, just venting some frustration.

Will post pics with complete install write up probably tomorrow IF it finally works, barring any MORE complications.

So far total on this install
guage 49.99
isolator 99.99
misc adapters 20.00

Should have just gone with electrical!!!!!!!!, but stuck now with the mechanical!!!
:livid: :curses: :crying: :blam:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts