Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the fan out of the coupe and like a dumb ass I forgot to mark which wire went on which terminal. I am DVMless as I am at my apartment and left the damn DVM at work. Help please!!!!!

Darren

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
There is no low speed, the center terminal is a no-connect. The two outer terminals are the correct ones. If you connect them the wrong way, the fan will just spin backwards, no damage done.

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Well, the fan is actually variable speed, not a 2-spd. At least that's how it works when it's installed in the car it's designed for. The center post works as a low voltage signal back to the computer to warn if the fan is not operating and flashes the check engine light.

It pains me to have a perfectly good Mark 8 fan sitting in a Mark 8 instead of my stang ;)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I finally figured it would not hurt to rig up some 10 ga. wire with the female ends and go to the battery. I got it figured out the hard way but now I know for sure and learned a little something on the way. So I am assuming you vary the fan speed by altering the voltage going to it?

Darren

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
d brune said:
So I am assuming you vary the fan speed by altering the voltage going to it?

Yup, although i don't see any visible regulators so i don't know how the Mark controls this

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mustang5L5 said:
Yup, although i don't see any visible regulators so i don't know how the Mark controls this
The Fan controller pulses the fan so to run at a lower speed the voltage is pulsed at a lower frequency so the average voltage is lower.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info on how the fan speed is altered. I think I will just leave it on "HI" for the A/C and Engine Temp. I have not had a problem up to this point so why mess with something that is not broke. One other question though, right now I have two Bosch relays operating the fan, one for the engine temp switch and one for the A/C. The trigger for the A/C relay comes off of the A/C clutch hot wire and everytime the compressor cycles on and off so does my fan. I was thinking that by moving the trigger to the hot side of the pressure switch at the accumulator it would run the fan all the time instead of cycling it with the compressor. The reason I want to do this is when the fan is cycling with the compressor it is really taxing the alternator due to the massive amount of end rush when both are triggered at the same time. Are there any disadvantages to wiring this way?

Darren

1 - 7 of 7 Posts