Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are mark 7 rotors good? I'm going to five-lug and getting cobra R wheels and are they 4.5" bolt circle diameter? Also when I was looking at stuff to change to five-lug, I was planning on getting the kit from FRPP for the rear with axles and drums. From what I saw it will only work with the wheels for a 94-95? Which wheels should I get 87-93 17X8 or 94-95 17X9? Thanks

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the Mark VII rotors on my 89 and they are good as the stock rotors. The lug pattern is 5 x 4.5"

I'm not sure about the wheels, but when I was going to go to 17s I was going to stay with 17x8 to hold off any clearance problems. I'm sure people have put 17x9s on, and they will undoubtedly chime in :)

I ended up getting 15" Draglites instead of 17" wheels.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think he was only talking about the rotors.

I upgraded to Mark VII calipers when I put the rotors on, and other then the pedal being a little soft, they stop alot better then stock. Eventually I'll upgrade to the Mark VII master cylinder, but it's good for now.

You'll need Lincoln pads if you decide to upgrade the calipers as the stock pads tongs on the piston side are too small. I just bent them out on mine since I had new Hawk High Performance Street pads from Tire Rack already sitting around since I originally wasn't going to upgrade the calipers. They sell the same pads for the Mark VII so I'll get those when I need to do the brakes again.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
The Mark VII brake rotor in the front is the same diameter and thickness and the stock fox, only it is 5-lug.

If you want an upgrade, you can install the Mark VII calipers. They are 73mm piston, where the fox ones are 62?mm.

The issue with the wheel fitment is with the front rotors, not with the rear. If you plan on using some form of Ford OEM 17" Mustang wheel, here is what fit without any issues:

1) 94-95 Mustang GT Tri-bar
2) 94-97 Mustang Cobra
3) 95 Mustang Cobra "R"

All the later 96-up GT and 98-up Cobra wheels have some sort of interference with the rotor hat. With some you can use spacers or do machining to get them to fit.

For the aftermarket, including some "knockoff" styles, check with the manufacturer. I have heard that even some of the Bullitt style wheel from the aftermarket will fit with the Mark VII rotors.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How much do mark 7 rotors and calipers cost? Can you just bolt those on too? I do plan on putting 95 5-lug cobra R's :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
Autozone lists these prices and part #s

Fenco Reman caliper - left side - Part C240 - $12.99 + $10 core
Fenco Reman caliper - right side - Part C241 - $12.99 + $10 core
Aimco front rotor - Part 5449 - $55.99

If you have a "normal" auto store in your town, check there as they might have better prices. I think I paid $30sumthing for each front rotor and $12 each for the calipers.

For the calipers, just toss the mustang calipers in the boxes so you can get your core charge back. They won't be able to tell the difference, and the auto store I bought mine from said to just put them in there.

Your bearings will change over as well. I opted for new ones since I had no idea how old the bearings in my car were, or if they were ever re-packed w/ grease. I probably could've just reused them, but I figured better safe then sorry, and I had already bought the bearings. Inner and outer bearings and the bearing seals for both sides ran me $55.

And make sure the calipers come w/ new copper bushings for the brake line (you only need to remove the brake line at the caliper). it goes together bolt, bushing, brake line block, bushing, caliper.

·
Registered
543 Posts
what year mark 7 do you use the rotors from? from what i can recall some years used a 5x4.25 pattern and others were the 5x4.5. ? Also who has the best deal on the kit for the rear(drums)?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did what you are doing last year. I used the ford kit for the rear and used the mark 7 rotors up front. All I needed to put on the ford cobra r wheels is a set of wheel spacers. If you go with a set of polished wheels ford makes them in different off-sets, the chrome only came in one at the time i bought them. If you go aftermarket be carefull, i tried, they dont look the same. I was able to tell more than just the different size and style center caps, i tried three or four set before i gave up and bought the ford. but they do make the different off-sets in most aftermarket applications with the cobra r's. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions. Its not to bad of a job just time consuming in the rear.

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
PA87lx said:
what year mark 7 do you use the rotors from? from what i can recall some years used a 5x4.25 pattern and others were the 5x4.5. ? Also who has the best deal on the kit for the rear(drums)?
I got mine for a '90 Mark 7...but there are other years that will work (86-91 i think?)

I got my FMS-M1126A kit from summit. Was $189.95 + 7.95 handling

www.stangparts.com has it for $179.95...but i dunno how much shipping is? :confused: It IS a very heavy box so they might want a lot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spindles and axles, too?

Maybe a dumb question, but I assume the Mark VII hubs fit right onto the Fox spindles, since everyone seems to be swapping out their rotors for the Marks? And does the Mark use the same length axles as the Fox? I remember reading and article in MM&FF a few years back about using the Mark [something] parts for a four to five lug conversion. Which year should I look for the Mark axles in?
Thanks,
Beater

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got rotors for the 86 Mark VII, they are definitely 5 x 4.5" also

You can also ask for 84-86 Mustang SVO rotors

·
Registered
9,974 Posts
Re: Spindles and axles, too?

You can only use mark 7 axles if you also use the disk brakes off the rear. Even then i think you push the axles out .75"

If you keep the drums you need to use Ranger/Aerostar axles and drums or the ford FMS-M1126A 5-lug drum kit.

Later on, you can swap to Mark 7 disks by flipping the caliper brackets and using those axles.

I have the Ford kit, but plan on putting Mark 7 11.35" disks on the rear soon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.