Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning!

Just did a manual steering conversion while installing AJE k member on my 86 hatch. The Unisteer shaft that came with the manual kit from summit is rubbing on the header. I did some grinding on the set screw and tried moving the steering column over to gain clearance, helped some but still rubbing on the header. even tried loosening motor mounts to wedge the engine over an inch.

If I can move the rack forward 1 inch with a spacer or washers, I think this would gain the clearance needed, Question is would there be any major issue spacing the rack forward and inch or possibly 1.5" at the most?

I'm trying to avoid purchasing another steering shaft but will do so if needed. On that front I like the low profile joints on the flaming river unit, but also think the Maximum Motorsports telescoping unit would allow me to pull the column out the extra inch or so fro the firewall to allow the u joint to articulate around the header without moving the rack forward.

I can post some pics if needed to show what the issue is

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m in the same boat as you.
My manual steering shaft has too great of an angle, I need to get it under 35* To lesson binding but it also hits header pipe

I can suggest to you (if possible) to shorten the manual racks shaft
That would require you to use longer connecting shaft but then it might help clear headers!?
Or you could try rolling the rack forward instead of moving it all forward

I’ve done all I’ve suggested and still need a bit more clearance
I might smack the header pipe A bit to gain needed clearance
That would be nothing compared to the indentations for header bolts at flange.

I hope someone can answer your question about possible issues in steer geometry if any by moving rack forward as that would definitely help with my issue too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah. I think Indy is right.
On paper I’m sure it’ll affect something like accerman or bump steer but are we really going to notice it?
Doubt it

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, I played around with the rack today and doesn't look like moving it forward 1 inch is going to do it, I found another (less expensive) solution from LMR to reuse the original rag joint which I don't mind.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I spaced the column down on my 79 to get header clearance it changed the angle. That was power steering but it had the biggest u joint I have ever seen.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I’ve had flaming river racks in 2 cars and had to bash the primary on both to clear. Their joints are pretty beefy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a new rag joint and the power to manual adapter in the mail from LMR last night going to get it installed hopefully this weekend, along with a new Walbro 255lph fuel pump (my Kemso 340 died on the way to the track Wednesday night) this weekend will report back if it worked.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update - Mustang is alive again! The Kemso 340 lph fuel pump was not dead, it was the small hose from the pump to the hanger had burst open. Anybody have a part # to the molded S hose that goes from the pump to the hanger?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts