Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a upr K member and coil over kit on my 1984 SVO. While I was in to it I installed a manual Rack off of a 1987 Mustang GT, which fit well with the exception of the steering shaft. My shaft is to large for the manual rack. Just wondering if a shaft off of a gt would be the same size. Not sure if the SVO shaft is larger due to the suspension upgrades that came factory on the SVO. Any help would be nice. Thanks Tommy

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm not exactly sure of what you're talking about. The manual rack I had already had the shaft coming out of it. My problem was at the rag joint. I had to buy a rag joint adapter to make it work. There may be a cheaper source out there for one, but I got mine at a Ford dealership for like $63

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that is what is wrong with mine the rag joint wont spline up. Do you remember the part number.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
no, I don't have the part number. It's been a few years since I had to buy it and then I sold the manual rack with the rag joint adapter a few months ago.

They had to order it, but it wasn't some obsolete item.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm too cheap to cough up the $60, so I think I'll end up rooting through the junk yards for one, apparently a rag joint from any manual-rack fox will work. If you find the joint at a reasonable price let me know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
call holcomb motorsports they sell the adaptor cheap its even a ford part.they sell it in the flaming river kit. i also have a
new one that came in my kit if your interested

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I am going to try and buy a flaming river or borgensen joint only and make my own shaft. It lools like the rag joint is going to enterfear with the K member motor mount plate. I've got alot to do to get ready for the Gainsville FFW in June.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts