Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother is considering buying a 95 GT with 56,000 original miles. It only has Flowmaster mufflers and is 5spd. He also found a 94 with 34,500 original miles and is bone stock also 5spd. Is there major problems that can occur in these vehicles? Anything that is know to break or go wrong with any of these vehicles?

I mostly want to know the little b/s things that might go wrong with it. I'm assuming the motor is pretty reliable.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Things like the headlight switch going bad, them detonating, getting a little warm.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
115,000 miles and going very strong. The switch and detonation are all easily fixed. Don't know about the "warm" thing. Other than brakes and the battery, just normal stuff, there has really been nothing else. I've had the car since 21k on the odometer.
Pick the best option and have fun!!

·
Registered
848 Posts
youll probley be chaning the harmonic balancer right off. there is a couple recalls you should check and see if they have ben done.

·
Registered
574 Posts
ditto on the balancer, otherwise I don't have any serious complaints with our specific car.

·
Registered
865 Posts
How common is this headlight switch problem, I remember the Fox's having a headlight problem but I didn't know ours had a headlight problem.

SN95GT50

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I never had a headlight switch problem. My main problems have been Abs related crap (that was due to an accident), Water pump went bad at 70,000, harmonic balancer at 80,000 (definitely check it out, if there's rubber hanging out get it fixed asap), Otherwise, detonation due to over advanced timing. 110,000 miles and going strong.

Oh yeah, and the throwout bearing on the clutch has been chirping since 54,000 when I bought it lol!

-Dale

·
Registered
476 Posts
GT 2K BLK said:
My brother is considering buying a 95 GT with 56,000 original miles. It only has Flowmaster mufflers and is 5spd. He also found a 94 with 34,500 original miles and is bone stock also 5spd. Is there major problems that can occur in these vehicles? Anything that is know to break or go wrong with any of these vehicles?
Besides the balancer issues that both years have, the 94 came with a double row timing chain and the 95 with a single row. A lot of guys have changed to double row chains on their 95's due to stretch.

I just put a new double in my 94, but did not need to, the stock double at 70k miles showed zero stretch.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good. I'm no mechanic so can someone tell me what a harmonic balancer is and how much it costs to replace?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Direct replace balancers are under $100, quality balancers are $200. I wouldn't touch a direct replacement. Install is about 2-4 hours depending on your skills. Here are the steps...

Get a puller/installer (rent from PepBoys, Free)
Remove fan
Remove Crank Pulley
Remove Crank bolt
But on Puller, crank old off.
Line up key way mount installer
Crank on.
Reverse the rest.

I put on a Pioneer balancer ~$160 it went on real easy. A lot of people like the Romacs, a little more pricey and some people have had to heat (Bake) them to get them on.

I had never done one before and it took me about 3 hours and a couple of beers.

SN95GT50

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have 110k on my 94 gt no problems at all. I bought the car at 59k 2.5 years ago. I've replaced the front brake pads once and tuned it up thats about it. Its the most reliable car I've owned. Tires can be a bit costly and don't seem to last terribly long... maybe thats just my driving. I have the 17 inch rims. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this car to anyone if they want a fun sporty great looking car. Gas milage is alot better than what you would think too. It's not too hard to get a consistant 20 mpg even in town. 25-26 mpg is acheivable on the highway. Another nice thing is this car isn't that bad to work on. Compare this to like tuning up a lt1 or ls1. All in all its a great car with a proven engine and tranny. It also has a decent interior. Not many rattles or loose stuff, which is uncommon for this type of car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts