Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finish installing the new vortech bracket and ilder on my 96 gt last week and decide to take the car for a ride today.jump on the highway and roll into it up to about 3500 and major pinning.
2-3 psi boost before i got out of it and drove it back home without getting into boost.here is the funny part.i have the timming adjuster set at 9 degrees,36 lb inj,kirban regulator,pro m77,255 intank and a t-rex.car has 40 psi with vacum off and 34-36 with vacum on.i remove the blower belt and replace it with the stocker and took it out again for a ride.same thing.car is pinning really bad.air temp is around 60 degrees outside nice and cool.had the fan switch on with engine temp at the n in normal.i have half a tank of sunoco 94 octane.can bad o2 sensors be causing this ?.i cant seem to get no more than 130 mpg when i fill up.the car has been throwing codes p0171 system lean bank 1 and p0174 system lean bank 2.could this be the problem ?.i have a 4.1 fmu but its not on the car right now.its pinning the same way without the blower hook up.i dont think fuel delivery is the issue,change the fuel filter 2 weeks ago.car has run 109.53 at the
track which put its somewhere around 310-320rwhp.i need help A.S.A.P.car does not have a chip and i'm running the stock vortech pulley.(6-8 psi)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone ?

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Not being funny but what does "pinning" mean? I'm unsure of your actual question which makes it very hard to answer........... hopefully once we find out what question you're asking... I'm sure you'll get the answer you need.

-Tim

·
Registered
384 Posts
Sounds like you have a blown motor.

If your running a blower without and fmu, or chip tuning to add more fuel for the boost. Then you can pretty much gaurantee it's blown.

Do a compression check.
You shouldn't run leaner than 11-1 air fuel ratio, if your tripping those codes you are running WAY lean. I mean like blow-up lean.
Don't ever run it into boost until you've corrected the fuel.

Good Luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yikes, I assume you mean "pinging". The fact that you have detonation without the blower belt on is worrisome. The fact that you have not had a chip tune is even more worrisome. I'm curious how you were even able to go to the track and get times, etc with a supercharged engine and no chip. When I had my Vortech installed It took me over 4 months of testing and tuning, swapping injectors, calibrating 2 different brands of MAF's, and modifying to different brands of chips several times just to get my car to idle properly much less stop pinging! I hope your engine is OK. Pull the plugs and check compression first, especially in the cyliders that you got a lean code on.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
96-98 2V's did not need a chip.they are many people here on this board with 96-98 gt's with blowers and no chips.the motor is not blown.it detonates even before i had the blower on.i have been getting these codes p0171 and p0174 which says system lean bank i and 2.the car ran at the track last year with 0 detonation.it only started since i got those codes.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Pinging is generally too little fuel or too much spark.
You have good fuel pressure at idle on the fuel rail according to your gage. Without the FMU, the 36'rs should be able to deliver the necessary amount. The question is whether the EEC is getting or giving the right info to make the necessary calculations.

Assuming it isn't getting the right info would point to the MAF wires being dirty or broken, or possibly the air inlet sensor giving the wrong info. You might try pulling the maf sensor and cleaning its wires with contact cleaner. A recent reoiling of the Pro-M sometimes contaminates the sensor wires. Wrong info in = wrong info out.

Next step is timing. Try pulling the Octane plug by the MAF. This will drop 3 degrees of timing at 3K on up. This should stop the pinging.

Also, check the flex tubing between the Vortech plastic pipe to the blower and the elbow on the MAF. Mine wore out and developed some holes. It used to ping like crazy around 3500 rpm under load. I'd check this one first. Steve D at Houston sells some beefier tubing which is better than the one Vortech supplies.

Good luck,
Marc

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks marc,i will pull the plug and see how it runs on my way home.i just did the new blower bracket last week and i check all the blower tubing and the powerpipe tubing.i clean the prom77 filter and the hot wires.the only thing i did not clean was the IAC.i will clean that today and post back tommorow.
Randy

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
quick update on pinging.i decide to pull the fuse from the t-rex and low and behold i only had 23-25psi fuel pressure.i ajusted the kirban regulator to 40 psi with vacum off,then put back the fuse for the t-rex and took it for ride.no more pinging.i havent tried no more than 9 degrees
on the timming adjuster,so i dont know if it will ping with more timming.i will insatll my msd this weekend so that i can knock the timming back to around 16-17 degrees total at max boost(8psi).i'm still going to replace the o2 sensors.
thanks everyone.
Randy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.