Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Main Girdle on stock block

Hey guys I have a stock 5.0 block that I need to change a leaky oil pan gasket on. Should I put a main girdle on it at this time or should I not waste my money? Motor make 453rwhp and 555rwtq right now with stock motor and a turbo, I might throw some TF 170's on this winter. After that im done cause this motor has 140k on it. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Don't

Do not bolt one on it will not help. I had a stock block with a girdle all it did was hold the broken parts together save your money for something else.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
Hey guys I have a stock 5.0 block that I need to change a leaky oil pan gasket on. Should I put a main girdle on it at this time or should I not waste my money? Motor make 453rwhp and 555rwtq right now with stock motor and a turbo, I might throw some TF 170's on this winter. After that im done cause this motor has 140k on it. What do you think?

I think you should get a better block.

·
Premium Member
820 Posts
IF you're down there, you have the parts, and feel like it, HELL YEAH put that thing in there!! Not only will it hold allt he broken parts together WHEN, not if, you blow it, it'll give you a better chance of letting it live a bit longer. With a proper tune and keeping the RPMs at a reasonable level(which I assume since you say it's stock with a turbo), there's no reason you couldn't drive this car for many, many years.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
I run one; but the main caps are machine perfectly flat to recieve the support. I only do this to reduce main bearing wear as the miles pile up on the street; not to keep the weak block together...;)

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I used this on my 495rwhp S-trim combo.

[spam warning] Its for sale too...

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I run one; but the main caps are machine perfectly flat to recieve the support. I only do this to reduce main bearing wear as the miles pile up on the street; not to keep the weak block together...;)
Correct, you just cant throw one one a block with out having your block machined with the girdle on. (line honed)

Do you realize how much this tightens up your main caps together? It changes all bearing clearance.. I feel they are good and do help if set up and machined properly.

They help keep things together longer and better, Does it make the block stronger ?Yes and no... The block is going to break at the weak spot, its just a matter of when and I feel the support helps some in this case!

The block never breaks anywhere else except along the center of the block around the camshaft area, and spreads to the top and the bottom then!

As mentioned by others it will help keep a broken block together, possibly the difference from crashing your car to not crashing your car!

I recommend never using one unless the block was machined with in already on the main caps.

Brent

·
Vendor
12,558 Posts
I got a steel one here going on a stock 302 block, its presently in the line hone and the girdle is bent which I see often. This makes it a disaster line honing since the girdle is pulling the caps in all different directions. Also you may run into this, you may have to experiment on which caps need to be tq'd first as you wont be the first to have the crank basically lock up, then you change tq sequence and its fine. Just an fyi

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Don't waste your money on a girdle or heads at this point. I had a girdle on an old stock blocked 347 setup, hit it with a 150 shot, making somewhere close to the power you are (but through an auto, not 5 speed) and after 5 hits, it cracked. First time I got lucky, 2nd time not so much!

Don't do heads yet because you are already making enough power to crack that stock block. Save up for an aftermarket shortblock, heads, cam, etc... and you'll be better off.

Best option is to buy a used shortblock in a Dart/R302 block, 331ci and up with low compression pistons for boost. Take it to your local machine shop and have it gone through and freshened up if need be. This is the cheapest route to an aftermarket setup to handle as much power as you want!

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Blocks

Yea listen to above I did not listen and ran my 306 with a t-trim and destroyed everything bent to valves on my afr heads took out rotating assembly pain in the ass. You can find a nice block used and go form there.

·
Premium Member
14,998 Posts
The aluminum ones on an iron block are great. With a 10-1 thermal
expansion rate differnce, nothing like prying the caps apart to add to strength.

Use a better block

I have said it before, (when they first came out) Its a whole lot like a seat belt in a airline crash. DOesn't do a damn thing to keep the plane from crashing, but its a great place to start looking for the remains people think are important.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Every story I read with a Girdle saved their heads. Everyone without a girdle wiped their heads out. Your choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts