Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my dealership install the X-pipe today and it sounds AWSOME...whoever said this combo does not work with Flowmaster 2 Chambers has not really heard it...

Anyway, I have a slight leak on the drivers side flange. The pipe is actually too large for the flange, and air is escaping.

My installer says that it will seal itself in a day or two after the pipe goes through a few heat/cool cycles. If it does not, he says that he will grind some off the edge that is causing the problem, and it will be all good.

My question is, is it likely that it will seal?

Also, should I let him gring some, or send the pipe back to the distrubutor. I am new to the h-pipe deal...

I put in a new Ford gasket on the pass. side and all is well there.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
~Darren

·
Premium Member
2,055 Posts
SilverStallion:

A driver's side leak is kind of uncommon -- most of us have a tough time with the passenger's side (new gasket or not). For the +99 models, isn't there a bell-shaped insert that is supposed to go inside the driver's side pipe?? (Maybe I read that about the VRS pipe? I'm old so pardon my faulty RAM).

Well, I don't think that leak is going to self-seal but I'm not an auto tech. Before you grind anything, I'd call MagnaFlow and ask why it is leaking (their design and build quality is great) because it should not be leaking. Also, I would try good old "Permatex Copper high temp silicone sealer" on the joint. The pipe has to come off enough so you can slather some sealer on the manifold and pipe surfaces.

Good luck and let us know what happens, please.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
There was an adapter (like described by nyuk98gt) with my VRS X pipe for the driver side for use with the stock manifold. Otherwise, I think you need to pull out the stock studs (with the spacers) and replace them with ones like the passenger side or aftermarket ones. Check posts titled with the words "install" and "pipe"...should get you what you need.

·
Registered
560 Posts
very uncommon, usually the pass. side is hard to get quiet. It is a ball and socket flange(no gasket). And I don't think heat cycles will make it go away. I think it will get worse!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.