Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to a local shop to see if it were possible to install some cats onto my '88 Mustang which is equipped with Hedman long tubes and Bassani X-pipe. They said $405 for parts & labor. I asked them how much is labor because I wanted to get some of those Random Technologies cats. They said they only use their own cats. I asked what kind. They said Magnaflow.

So are Magnaflow cats any good? Is $405 worth it for the cats and the installation?

I'm also thinking about installing an electric exhaust cut-out on the collector of the long tubes for "off-road" applications.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
well you can get dr gas high flow jobs for like 250 a pair. Add in an hour or 2 labor for the exhaust shop to drop your mid pipe, cut out 2 sections, weld the cats in, and bolt it back up. You are looking close to 350-400 bucks.

A good alternative is to just hold on to your stock h-pipe or pick one up. When inspection time comes around just bolt the stock pipe up and you are set.

The electric cutout may be another option but I honestly hear of only one person out of 100 people that say they are going to do it and actually do.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have to worry about emissions tests. I just want to quiet the car down and reduce the gas smell. The cut-outs will be nice in case an LS1 pulls up beside me.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
i dont think an exhaust cut out will make a difference. If you have the power then you have it. If you open up the exhaust when you race the LS1 (and you may lose) then you'll have a slow car with a loud exhaust! heh heh...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Magnaflow converters are made by Car Sound- same company actually-

They ARE the BEST flowing converter on the market hands down.

A Magnaflow converter WILL outflow a Random converter any day.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TireSmoke said:
i dont think an exhaust cut out will make a difference. If you have the power then you have it. If you open up the exhaust when you race the LS1 (and you may lose) then you'll have a slow car with a loud exhaust! heh heh...
Converters usually result in a 10hp decrease versus a cat-less pipe. With electric cutouts I may get that 10hp back.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
why not get a bassani x-pipe with cats and save yourself the headache???

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
lyonsd said:
Converters usually result in a 10hp decrease versus a cat-less pipe.
my combo consists of a stock 302 shortblock, which i freshened up few years ago, track heat heads, rpm intake, f-cam, bassani longtubes (158-134), bassani 2.5" x-pipe with cats and mac cat-back, f-cam, 1.6rr, 75bullet, 24#, 373, no porting, stock compression and all smog s**t. with these mods the car made 316rwhp and 322rwtq.
i then installed a bassani orxp cause i got a killer deal on it. the car sounds insane and since i've had some free time on my hands lately, i decided to go the dyno. the car made 319rwhp and 323rwtq, which is not much of a gain. roughly 3rwhp across the board. the interesting thing is that i had a pretty big drop in power between 3200-3800 and with the orxp that big dip is gone. i'm pretty sure that bassani uses random converters, which obviously flow really well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pkstang said:
why not get a bassani x-pipe with cats and save yourself the headache???
Because I have long-tube headers.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
lyonsd said:
my '88 Mustang which is equipped with Hedman long tubes and Bassani X-pipe
lyonsd said:
Because I have long-tube headers.
i know you have longtubes (i can read).

you are running a bassani orxp so why wouldn't a bassani high flow cat x-pipe work?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I had to replace the cats on my BBK H-pipe... cause I hit a speed bump a little too fast.... I paid $110 each installed for the 2-1/2" carsound highflow cats... so that brought me up to $220 for both... The box said makers of Magnaflow... from my understanding.. the Magna flows come with a stainless polished heat shields... and the carsound ones have stainless construction with aluminized steel heat sheilds... its your choice.. but expect to pay more for the Magnaflows....

·
Registered
351 Posts
Actually Bassani does not use Random converters....

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Re: Magnaflow cats $405 installed

pkstang said:
you are running a bassani orxp so why wouldn't a bassani high flow cat x-pipe work?
I supposed it would work just fine. But I didn't know they had a short x-pipe with cats.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Magnaflow cats $405 installed

lyonsd said:
I supposed it would work just fine. But I didn't know they had a short x-pipe with cats.
did you read any of my replies?
"bassani longtubes (158-134) and bassani 2.5" x-pipe with cats"

i got mine from fairway ford in cali. great place. i think i paid like $400 or $425.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Re: Re: Re: Magnaflow cats $405 installed

pkstang said:
did you read any of my replies?
Yes. But I diodn't know that before your reply.

Anyway, the short X-pipe wouldn't fit with my headers. They took a full-length off-raod X-pipe and cut it in order to install it. So I may be better off having these cats installed in my current X-pipe.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
what he is trying to say is bassani makes a matching x-pipe w/ cats to fit their bassani long tub headers. even though your old x-pipe was hacked, the new one will still fit.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I had the cats installed. Didn't quiet it down much, but at least the smell of gas in the exhaust is gone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts