Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, just wondering which mid pipe Ill gain the most power on ?? Catted H, Catted X, O/R H, or O/R X ??? Please let me know if you have soundclips as well because www.mustangexhaust.com has most of there links broken. Thxs! :joy:

·
Registered
337 Posts
2stangman said:
Hey guys, just wondering which mid pipe Ill gain the most power on ?? Catted H, Catted X, O/R H, or O/R X ??? Please let me know if you have soundclips as well because www.mustangexhaust.com has most of there links broken. Thxs! :joy:
I have the cated x-pipe with my magnaflow. It sounds great, but if you are not worried emmisions testing then get a off road x or h pipe. It hard to say which one you should get becuase they both have distinct sound qualities and different performance gains.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But in your opinion which one of the 4 will have the MOST gains regardless of sound ??

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
97MattGT said:
magnaflow x pipe. period.
YUP!! I agree. The Magnaflow X-Pipe Catted or None is a very impressive looking piece and higher in quality than Bassani.
(IMHO) I have the BAssani X-Pipe and a friend of mine has the Maganflow X pipe and his is a lot nicer looking than mine. Also Bassani is known for throwing codes even with cats. I had my Rear O2's turned off because every other day the Bassani cats threw codes. The Magnaflow Catted X pipe doesn't have that problem.

·
Registered
524 Posts
from dyno testing at a local shop, mac prochamber.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For sound I like the Offroad H-pipe. For performance (as little as it is) the Offroad Xpipe is the best. If you need cats the Catted X-pipe still performs slightly better then the catted H-pipe.

·
Registered
252 Posts
straight through muffler(like magnaflow) go with X
chambered muffler go with H

H with straight through sounds dirty IMO, i had dynomax ultra-flo with O/R H and it was loud, but i think straight through mufflers are meant to be used with an X.

so my verdict would be Magnaflow O/R X with your catback, sounds badass.

kevin

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright so its sounds like Im gonna go with the O/R Magnaflow X, whats the deal with the Pro-Chamber though ???

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well, I noticed that you have a Steeda...call Steeda.....

They did a ton of dyno testing and according to Steeda, the Magnaflow midpipe makes more then any other midpipe on the market.........

Give them a call and ask for Gus.

If the power was not enough,

Magnaflow= stainless steel, life time warranty

MAC= no stainless steel, no life time warranty

I can give you a list of shops in fact if you like that will all tell you this same fact.

Basic physics tells you 2 things-

Xs make more power then chambers and Hs

Straight through will make more power then ANY chambered muffler

There is a reason why Steeda, Roush, and Saleen do not use chambered mufflers or H pipes or chambered midpipes.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have seen all three tested and the prochamber made the most power.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well no offense, but I would rather take advice from Steeda, Saleen, Roush, NASCAR, exc about what makes more power....

Every single dyno test I have seen has gone

DrX or Magnaflow>Bassani>MAC>H pipe

MAC = Flowmaster in terms of performance-

Better then stock but not the Best-------------------

A prochmaber might work better then an H at higher RPMS, but it will never be able to match an X in performance-----

Dont take my word for it , give the guys at Dr. x or Bassani a call as well......

What do they use on the Cobra R- X pipe
What do they use on Saleens- X pipe
What do they use on Steedas- X pipe
What do they use on Roush- X pipe
What do they use in NASCAR- X pipe
What do most proffesional drag racers use- X pipe

The Prochamber uses a chamber to equalize the cylinder banks, which works better then a traditional H pipe, because at higher RPMS, the exhaust flows too quickly past the H for it to work effectively......

An X pipe takes it one step further above the X pipe, by actually forcing the air to spin in the center portion of the X pipe which results in a scavenging effect on the opposite cylinder bank.....which is impossible with a chamber

Now who ever can get the air to spin the best in the center, in laymens terms, will get the best scavenging effect which will result in the best hp and torque gains.

Due to the design in general, this will not happen with the prochamber, so while it does equalize pressure better then an H pipe, it lacks the scavenging effect gotten by an X.

If you can give me a technical explanation as to why I am wrong, I am ready to listen......but every engineer, just about ever racer, every Mustang tuner, and every dyno I have ever seen tells me I am correct.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! well thanks for going that deep to help me decide! Looks like Im getting the catted magnaflow from Steeda. thxs for all ther help guys!

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I have a Bassani X-pipe and it is far from Raspy sounding.
It has a nice mellow and deep sound at idle and comes to life when you crack the throttle. Most definitely not raspy...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alrighty, Ill get the magnaflow O/R-X, Im also going to be getting the BBK equal-length headers. Thxs for all the help guys!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts