Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
G

·
After having toasted my Vortech bracket and having some down time waiting for them to get me a new one I made the best use of idle time by throwing some Crower regrinds in the beast. Instructions to Crower were pretty simple...."To the ragged edge, please". I wasn't too concerned about the tune because of my Diablo affiliation but I also just got my hands on a Mafterburner. I figured what better way to test this puppy with nothing else changed except for some big ass bump sticks.

Idle was crazy erratic and enything but consistent. Tapping the pedal, constantly making sure it didn't die, etc, etc, etc,...

Brought the beast home last night and was ready for the MBurner test. Hitched up the autotap and found the fuel trim issues and got to work. First of all I would say the windows based program is easy-peasy for anyone to work with. Very, very, easy. Within a short amount of time in the driveway it was idling very nice and the drivability is awesome. I am far from done playing with this but have to say I am impressed. It certainly can do some of what the chip can except in real time, faster, and more cost effective.

I won't have any dyno results for a week or two until the t56 goes in. IMO - Anyone with cams should consider this a an essential tool to compliment your chip, minumum.

Oh yeah...BTW I did not change anything from my previous Diablo program other than raise the idle rpm to give the Mb a real test.
Passed! A+

Nice job MJCHIP!
Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
onerichrunner said:
After having toasted my Vortech bracket and having some down time waiting for them to get me a new one I made the best use of idle time by throwing some Crower regrinds in the beast. Instructions to Crower were pretty simple...."To the ragged edge, please". I wasn't too concerned about the tune because of my Diablo affiliation but I also just got my hands on a Mafterburner. I figured what better way to test this puppy with nothing else changed except for some big ass bump sticks.

Idle was crazy erratic and enything but consistent. Tapping the pedal, constantly making sure it didn't die, etc, etc, etc,...

Brought the beast home last night and was ready for the MBurner test. Hitched up the autotap and found the fuel trim issues and got to work. First of all I would say the windows based program is easy-peasy for anyone to work with. Very, very, easy. Within a short amount of time in the driveway it was idling very nice and the drivability is awesome. I am far from done playing with this but have to say I am impressed. It certainly can do some of what the chip can except in real time, faster, and more cost effective.

I won't have any dyno results for a week or two until the t56 goes in. IMO - Anyone with cams should consider this a an essential tool to compliment your chip, minumum.

Oh yeah...BTW I did not change anything from my previous Diablo program other than raise the idle rpm to give the Mb a real test.
Passed! A+

Nice job MJCHIP!
Shawn
Shawn,

I'm very happy that you like the product! The fact that you are a competent tuner, have strong ties to Diablo Sport, and still feel that this product fills a need in the aftermarket despite the existence of "chips", means a great deal to me. Would it be possible for you to elaborate a little on this point for others?

Anyway, the main goal for my company, Zone-5 Performance Products, is to build a business one satisfied customer at a time. I'm ecstatic to add you to my slowly growing list.

Take care, enjoy that freakin' beast and please do not hesitate to call if I can do anything for you.

Sincerely,

Mark Chiappetta
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark
I showed this to Joe Sr. @ Superior Automotive and he thought it looked pretty sweet. He also saw how it ran when it left yesterday and how much nicer it was when it rolled in. :D Since he has strong ties to MMFF & Hot Rod magazine he wants to show them your unit on my car with the data on the cams swap. These guys are always looking for stuff to publish. Ya never know........ :D
Shawn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
ROADWARRIORSVT said:
I've read a little on the Mafterburner but was wondering,....would I need this if I got the EEC-Tuner? Is this more conclusive of a tuning tool than the Tuner software?
I hate to have this sound like a cop-out but, in my opinion, a comparison is difficult. First off, if your PCM is supported, the EEC-tuner simply has a lot more base functionality than the MAFterburner. However, they are not intended to be used either or. I believe that the MAFterburner will set the standard for a/f tuning on mass-air equipped vehicles running stock electronics. The MAFterburner will simply "work" on most if not all existing Ford applications regardless of the PCM firmware. It allows someone to tune both for part-throttle driveability and WOT performance in a very intuitive, precise, and rapid fashion. Ask Shawn Ellis, aka "onerichrunner" about this. He will tell you that he was able to take his pretty radical set-up from barely idleing to having excellent driveability in less than an hour. This was all done in "real time". What this means is that, with a laptop running Autotap and MAFCOMM (the MAFterburner communications/tuning software) he was able to simply click a slider in a graphical window and watch the STrims immediately reflect the changes that he was making. The changes take place in less than 0.5 seconds from the time you move the slider to the time the PCM see's the change (often times it's much faster than this).

I trust that he'll provide more details of how he used the product. Shawn?

To answer your question, I personally feel that the MAFterburner can and should be used "in conjunction" with chips and EEC tuners. You'll need devices like this to deal with timing maps, speedo correction, etc.. BUT I strongly believe that the MAFterburner will find its place as one of the most rapid, precise, and cost effective ways to tune air-fuel on a late-model mass-air equipped vehicle.

Hope this helps,

Mark

P.S. For more information, please check out our website at:

www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/mafterburner
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GarretW- I installed a very radical set of cams. A new profile with a bit more duration than the SHM cams. First I used the auto tap to indentify fuel trims from idle on up, paying particularly close attention in the areas when it would act funky. First I noticed that when the eec was having to add greater then 10% fuel at specific rpms it did not want to be totally cooperative and was just wiggin'. (You can switch from the Autotap to the Mafterburner and the same laptop while the car is running which I found especially useful). Then I added the fuel back at the lower rpms it was asking for. Before I new it, that baby was idling great. My car seems to run better with the lower fuel trims near zero or in the negative . Just an observation but once I got the 'puter in the ball park she was ready to work. In the window of the MAFB it also shows current TPS voltage which is nice. I am not done yet but will post my experiences how they are, good or bad. Right now, It Is All Good. :D
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW- I got this because a client of mine has the split second unit and got to watch it work first hand on the street and the dyno. It worked great, amazing really. But the split second unit is not all that user friendly and has less features than the Mafterburner. With the split second plan on a few hours just to setup and don't look for any easy windows based sliders and tools. oh yeah, better bring a calculator too. :lol: If anyone is So. Cal wants to see it work give me a PM and it will just take a minute at the shop.

Duane? Omar? Richard? Bud? Mike? (and all you others..)get your orders in. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
does the MAfterburner need to be running on a laptop (turned on) in order for the changes to hold??? or can you just adjust the A/F ratios and then unplug it and have the changes hold???

thanks in advance
a potential new customer ;)

happy with new Autotap AT123 and looking for more things to plug into my ride :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
onerichrunner said:
FWIW- I got this because a client of mine has the split second unit and got to watch it work first hand on the street and the dyno. It worked great, amazing really. But the split second unit is not all that user friendly and has less features than the Mafterburner. With the split second plan on a few hours just to setup and don't look for any easy windows based sliders and tools. oh yeah, better bring a calculator too. :lol: If anyone is So. Cal wants to see it work give me a PM and it will just take a minute at the shop.

Duane? Omar? Richard? Bud? Mike? (and all you others..)get your orders in. :D
By the way, I hear you ordered another unit AND that it shipped this morning UPS overnight. Got big plans? :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
Scott Kim said:
does the MAfterburner need to be running on a laptop (turned on) in order for the changes to hold??? or can you just adjust the A/F ratios and then unplug it and have the changes hold???

thanks in advance
a potential new customer ;)

happy with new Autotap AT123 and looking for more things to plug into my ride :D
Hey Scott,

Once you make the changes they remain resident in FLASH memory and the unit is meant to be run "stand-alone" (i.e. without host computer hooked up). The "tune" also is preserved with or without power applied so if you kill the battery, you lose nothing.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,683 Posts
sounds like a good product, but my only question is why did you team up with sean hyland? one, he is not american. and two, he rapes people with his prices on his stuff! i would not buy anything from him.... i understand you are in this to make money more so than to help the average joe! good luck with your business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
stroked or blown? said:
sounds like a good product, but my only question is why did you team up with sean hyland? one, he is not american. and two, he rapes people with his prices on his stuff! i would not buy anything from him.... i understand you are in this to make money more so than to help the average joe! good luck with your business.
Thanks. I teamed up with SHM because it was a natural fit at the time. I had a product that I developed solely in my spare time to work on my car. It turned out that SHM had a need for such a product so they contacted me about teaming up and offering it to the public. I was originally going to go it alone but some experienced business people quickly smacked some sense into me and the rest is history. I'm an engineer by day and I "play" with cars as a hobby. I have this dream of building a company on a foundation of technically solid products that solve real-world problems encountered by other guys like me when tinkering with their cars. Do I hope that I'll make money at this? Of course. However, I have a REALLY good day job and my goal is to use whatever money I make to continue to develop future products. I would say that I'm more interested in building a name for my company and developing the MAFterburner brand one "happy" customer at a time. I may be idealistic but I feel that if I take care of everyone to the best of my ability, the business will grow on its own.

Also, SHM has been a very good partner to ZPP thus far and I expect this to continue. I'm sorry that you and some others have problems with them and if you choose to not purchase product from them to make some kind of a statement that's cool with me. However, currently they are the only ones who distribute my product and this may or may not change in the future so I guess I will not be able to do anything for you. I'm sorry about that but it is out of my control. Maybe you can use one of the other similar products on the market like the Pro-M calibrator or optimizer or the Apexi S-AFC. Best of luck with your car.

Sincerely,

Mark Chiappetta
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
onerichrunner said:
Duane? Omar? Richard? Bud? Mike? (and all you others..)get your orders in. :D
Unfortunately, the MAF in my Probe just died, so it looks like my extra $300 will be going towards getting my beater back on the road :(. This tool looks great, though, and it's only a matter of time before I get one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
Shawn,
After reading this thead and hearing how impressed you were with the product I went ahead and ordered one this morning. I think it shipped today so I should see it on Monday. I hope it is as easy as it sounds to tune. I'm going to move my dyno appointment to next weekend so I can tune WOT with it. Hopefully I won't have to send the chip back for a reburn.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,720 Posts
Mark Chiappetta,
I've been coming to the Corral for at least 5+ years now and I've been doing a ton of reading on your product and wanted to thank you for developing it, and providing it at what I would consider to be a realistic and fair price.

Needless to say, I will purchase it myself real soon. As an engineer, I sometimes find myself tinkering around as well. I think this might solve some of the idle issues that I had with all my previous tunes and hae a slight suspicion that it was always "MAF" related. I say "used to have" because my car isn't up and running (hopefully it will be running this weekend and had some transmission issues set me back).

So..... seems like you're right on track with your personalized service and I truly look for companies with the attitude that you've not only displayed but also have backed up ------ folks, everyone of my messages was answered within 24 hours and you can't ask for better then that!

Although I'm not vey keen on SHM, I would still purchase YOUR product and if what I've seen is any reflect of the product I'll receive, then I'm sure I'll be pleased as well!

Thank you,
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
To tune the A/F properly, would I need the autotap or does the MAFterburner software show A/F too?

If the MAFterburner software was completely self-contained, would show the A/F "issues" fairly clearly & let us tune it out, that would be very cool!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
NiagaraGlenn said:
To tune the A/F properly, would I need the autotap or does the MAFterburner software show A/F too?

If the MAFterburner software was completely self-contained, would show the A/F "issues" fairly clearly & let us tune it out, that would be very cool!
NiagaraGlenn,

To get an idea of what is happening inside the PCM during adaptive control strategies, and to tune out any a/f issues that arise, you'll need an OBD-II scanner like Autotap as well as the MAFterburner.

To tune WOT or "open-loop" operation you'll need a wideband oxygen sensor to determine A/F. To tune for max power at WOT, you'll need to run on a chassis dyno.

You are right that it would be very cool to integrate all of this. A follow-up product in the Zone-5 Development Plan is a permutation of the MAFterburner with an integrated, low-cost, wideband O2.

Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
1BadAzzGT said:
Mark Chiappetta,
I've been coming to the Corral for at least 5+ years now and I've been doing a ton of reading on your product and wanted to thank you for developing it, and providing it at what I would consider to be a realistic and fair price.

Needless to say, I will purchase it myself real soon. As an engineer, I sometimes find myself tinkering around as well. I think this might solve some of the idle issues that I had with all my previous tunes and hae a slight suspicion that it was always "MAF" related. I say "used to have" because my car isn't up and running (hopefully it will be running this weekend and had some transmission issues set me back).

So..... seems like you're right on track with your personalized service and I truly look for companies with the attitude that you've not only displayed but also have backed up ------ folks, everyone of my messages was answered within 24 hours and you can't ask for better then that!

Although I'm not vey keen on SHM, I would still purchase YOUR product and if what I've seen is any reflect of the product I'll receive, then I'm sure I'll be pleased as well!

Thank you,
Tim
Thank you Tim for the kind words.

Like I have said before, my goal is to build a business that makes cool products which solve "real world" problems in the performance aftermarket by simply taking care of each customer like I would want to be taken care of and *hoping* the business end of things takes care of itself. If I can make some coin in the process, that would be a great bonus!

If I can be of any assistance to you regarding the MAFterburnerTM or otherwise, by all means contact me at: [email protected]. If you'd prefer to talk on the phone, drop me an email and I'll give you my cell number.

Cheers,

Mark Chiappetta
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top