Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at buying a set of Mac HTS coated long tubes but was wondering how durable the coating was and if rust was possible after some time.

Jeremy

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've had a little experience with Mac exhaust products.

The HTS coating does come off a little over time, and then rust starts appearing. In my case rusting started about 4 months after the product was installed.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
No first hand experience, but I have been told that it flakes off if you look at it the wrong way.....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there anyway to prevent the flaking, like a clear sealent. Or should I just watch them for flaking and save up to get them jethot coated. What is the average price to have headers jethot coated. Thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I got MAC Equal Length headers and there H-pipe with HTS coating been on the car since June of 2003 and no rust yet but mine is a weekend driver and never see's rain.....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Put some mac unequals and is flaking off after about 6 months. Live on high humidity Pacific island.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
It depends on where you live. Mine only has a few marks where it hit stuff when the motor was being installed. No big deal. Better then the chrome or anything like that. And obviously its not a ceramic coating. Mac does however have their CeraMac headers that come factory ceramic coated. Im sending my headers out soon to get jethot coated. Just for looks in my engine bay.

SVT

·
Registered
822 Posts
Had mine for 7 or 8 years. Did get little rust specks after 2 years, but they have not grown since. No signs of big chunks missing or anything like that.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
My flowpaths looked pretty bad after 2 years, but that was about 6-7 years ago. I'd have to assume some improvements have been made since.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It sucks....plain and simple. My nickel plated stuff lasted a lot longer. Now I have a set of Jet Hot headers. Awesome stuff and tuff as nails.

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
My HTS started rusting in about 8 months. I have driven in rain, but never snow or salt or anything, just a spring/summer car.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Does MAC still offer the chrome industrial plating? I have 1 5/8 long tubes with this and it was a good 3 years before they started to rust. Lately all I hear about is this HTS coating.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
85GT306 said:
Does MAC still offer the chrome industrial plating? I have 1 5/8 long tubes with this and it was a good 3 years before they started to rust. Lately all I hear about is this HTS coating.
I just got a set of 1 5/8 Mac LT "industrial". I called Jeff at MustangWarehouse and he called 3 distributors and I got the last set. They're hard to find, but still available.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
texsn95 said:
I called Jeff at MustangWarehouse
Thats where i work. Jeff is a great person and really tries to find what the customer wants.

SVT

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thats actually who has the hts headers on ebay, it was mustangwarehouse. i think i've decided on gettin them and then sending them to jethot to get coated.

does anyone know if i can just get bare headers, without a coating so i save money to send them to jethot. thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
black5ohhhh i can save you some money on them... PM me.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
SVTCobraLTD said:
Thats where i work. Jeff is a great person and really tries to find what the customer wants.

SVT
Yes, he was very nice and helpful :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts