Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this was a little strange. I know Ford parts are made in many different places. Is everybody's M-553-A302 cable made in Taiwan. Its the stock replacement that comes with the clutch fork for $40 from Diversified. I dont really care, just curious.

Then again......the Motorsport adjustable cable is made in Italy.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
The same thing happened to me. I was pissed. I bought the Ford cable because I wanted a GOOD one. Not some cheap ass one I can get at autozone. I think Ford did it to save money. I don't think it's the same one you get if you went to your local ford dealer.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The "new" Ford cable is just as good, if not better than the "old" one that was made in Canada. You have nothing to worry about as it is still the best cable out there. Ironically, Ford changed suppliers to lower their cost, but the price of the cable at the dealer went way up! Getting the FRPP kit is the best way to go and even if you buy it from D&D, you'll be fine!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK. That's good to hear. I assume that as long as it is made to Ford specification I will have no problems. Install will be tomorrow (wedding to go to today). I will report results. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ford cable is the best out there

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
I just bought one from D&D... but havent installed it yet. But was wondering the same thing. I figured it wasnt a true ford cable. Mine doesnt say Ford on it anywhere. Should it?

SVT

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The FRPP cable AND the Ford cable are the same and still the best ones out there. If you buy the D&D cable, it is also the same Taiwan-made cable. Any other cables are junk!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Install is complete. I went with the McLeod adjustable wide track firewall stabilizer and matching aluminum quadrant. Of course the above mentioned cable is installed as well. What a difference. The FMS adjustable cable was really junk. This setup is soooooooooo smooth. No binding at all. Real nice. Thanks to [email protected] who hooked me up with a good deal on the quadrant and firewall stabilizer. I got the cable from Dversified.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I am not happy with the quality of my five month old Taiwanese Ford cable (with probably 2,000 miles on it). It is starting to fray already... the cable is worn smooth where it comes out of the plastic end piece (on the clutch fork end) on one side, and the metal strands are beginning to break. This is with a stock replacement clutch; I can press down the pedal with my hand easily... it is not a heavy clutch, and the cable has always been well lubricated.

I am not sure why this is happening; my almost-three year old Steeda adjustable cable (with ~80,000 miles on it) has no such smooth spot where it comes out of the plastic piece, and it has been used in the same car with the same parts. The Steeda's end pieces are no longer tightly attached (the bellhousing end screws back on, the firewall end just spins around freely, which is probably from me trying to get to the Steeda firewall adjuster), but the cable itself is in good shape, and when I use a decent lube on it (NOT white spray grease, as I found; this stuff starts to bind up about a week after I put it in), it feels just as light and smooth as my Taiwanese stock cable.

I know that FMS/FRPP products carry no warranty, but I decided to email Diversified and see if they could help me anyway. They told me that they can't... and that when Ford's cable supplier raised the price, FRPP did what way too many companies are doing, and went with a Taiwanese manufacturer (their words). It did not seem, from that letter, that Diversified is terribly confident that these are as good as the old ones. I certainly am not.

If the dealer cables are these too, that would be very bad-- it would mean that truly good cables are no longer offered for our cars.

For what it is worth, Diversified has been a great place to deal with so far. I bought the clutch upgrade set and the aluminum driveshaft from them, and in both cases, the prices were low and the shipping was fast.

Frank

·
Registered
784 Posts
The last 3 pioneer cables I got from Auto Zone were made in Israel !! Still junk though, they did replace the last one that had the sheath collapse 3 days after installing my UPR firewall adjuster and triple hook quad. So now I have a new spare in my trunk for emergency.

My old orignial Ford cable is working good still, I lubed it up with white lube before install. I ordered a Ford cable from my buddy at a Ford dealer, have not put that in yet.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
I just got off the phone with one of the guys at Diversified and he told me they would really prefer NOT to sell the clutch cable kit as the cable is junk as is the one Ford currently sells.
He said the adjustable might be better as it is a repackaged Steeda kit. But my question is what are we supposed to do for a new clutch cable?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm not convinced that the 'new' cable is any way of less quality than the previous cable. I've compared them both, and they are almost identical. The 'old' cable has the purple band of tape near the firewall bushing (as shown in the pictures above that FRPP never updates!) if it is for a V8 car, so if you really want that Canadian made cable, your best bet is to find them in a salvage yard or on eBay. I keep an extra cable just in case, but the 'new' cable has proven to be just as good as the 'old' one so far! I'm sure there are defects here and there, but that happens with just about anything.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Gnvair... I don't know. I wish I could get ahold of one of the NOS Canadian stock cables. Diversified told me that when the Canadian supplier raised the prices, the cost of the clutch upgrade kit went up to $65, and when Ford Racing saw that the sales dropped, they went to the Taiwanese cables. I would rather pay $65 and get a good cable (and a stock fork) than $39 and get a crappy cable (and a stock fork).

All I can offer is that of the cables I have owned, the Steeda adjustable has been the best, followed by the Taiwanese Ford cable, and the Pioneers have been the worst. I have the Steeda in now... I just don't trust the stock Taiwanese one, not with the excessive wear I am seeing after only a few months. It seems that the metal they used in the cable itself is crappy quality-- as opposed to the sheath, which is the weak link in other aftermarket cables.

Another problem with the Taiwanese cables is that the cable itself is a little shorter, it seems, than the real OEM cables. The second hook on my Steeda quad is supposed to work with the stock cable, but it barely fits-- even with my firewall adjuster maxed inward, I have a very hard time getting the cable on or off the quad, and there is almost no adjustment range. The firewall adjuster is only about two turns out with the cable in place and adjusted.

I thought this was just me having this problem, but the other day I read about someone with a UPR quad having to use the third hook with his Taiwanese cable-- the second hook, the same as my second hook on my Steeda, did not give enough clearance. I am now wondering if UPR didn't include the third hook specifically because of this-- when the older Steeda quad was designed, there were no Taiwanese Ford cables, so it was not an issue.

I wonder-- whatever company was making the cables for Ford... have they just stopped making Ford cables now, even though they are (or they were when the changeover happened, which was probably a few years ago) all tooled up for them? If I were them, I would sell them under a different name, unless prohibited from doing so by copyrights or something.

Rest in Peace, Fred Berry.

Frank

1 - 20 of 25 Posts