Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going to install new coil springs on my 90 lx. if i use 7/8" front and 1/2" lowering springs, will i have to get a bump stop kit or rack bushings or anything else that'll make the cost go up? thanks. :D

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
When I put my 'C' springs on (same drop advertised that you mentioned) the springs, struts and shocks were all that I put on. I drove the car like that for a couple of years, and then added CC plates.
The possible "gotchas" are; You may need CC plates in order to set your camber to a proper adjustment. Be sure to get an alignment after lowering as lowering throws the toe and camber adjustments out of wack. If you're running stock/stock replacement struts and shocks, they may not be up to task with shorter, higher rate springs. That kinda depends on how you want/expect your ride to feel. I went with budget KYB struts and shocks, and they did fine. They've been on the car about 3yrs now. If you're talking about FRPP 'B' or 'C' springs, be aware that typically, they drop the front of a Fox more than the advertised 7/8". Mine was more like 1.5" or more.

Wade

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
lowering

my 88 is an x 4cyl - 5.0 & i use eibach springs, lowers 1 1/4" in front & 1" in rear & came w/ pinion snubber. i still have the 4 cyl struts & shocks & car rides & handles great. i also have a chrome mac strut tower brace to help handling. car ahs been like this for 4 years now w/ no problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply guys, i'll be lowering it soon. i put on monroe sensatrac shocks and struts a few months ago, i like 'em, thanks again, brad

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
bradgina02 said:
thanks for the reply guys, i'll be lowering it soon. i put on monroe sensatrac shocks and struts a few months ago, i like 'em, thanks again, brad
You're gonna hate 'em when you lower the car. They are the polar opposite of effectiveness with a higher-than-stock spring rate and they are not designed to be used with lowering springs. You're likely to have it sit in their tighter range of travel but when the wheel extends they're going to get back into the middle, squishy range. Boinga-boinga-boinga. They're just way too loose in the middle range of travel for any real spring control on these cars.

·
Registered
470 Posts
In response to MFE

So MFE, if that is the case what shock/strut combo do you recommend with a stiffer spring to maintain a decent street ride.

·
Super Moderator
27,657 Posts
I generally don't answer those kinds of questions for three reasons: 1) it's been covered about 1,000 times a year and a lot of information and opinions are available with a search of the forums and 2) there are many options for quality high-performance struts and shocks (Koni, Bilstein, Tokico to name a few) and I only have direct experience with some of them and 3) it depends a lot on what spring rates you're getting, how low it's going to be, and what your intended purpose for the car is. If you're just boulevard pimping you don't need Koni's. If you're running stiff springs and looking to get the most out of it you should step up and away from low-end stuff like KYB's. But the common denominator is if you've lowered the car with stiffer springs, stock replacement like Gabriel and Monroe (particularly the squishy Sensa-trac) are to be avoided.

Now (deep breath) in my opinion with no direct experience to back it up, you can't go wrong with Bilstein for a cross between performance and comfort. Koni (which I currently have) will sacrifice some comfort and the lower-priced ones will tend to sacrifice performance.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Ive got the FMS "C" springs on my car and let me tell you, they are VERY rough when combined wiuth a strut/shock that isnt made for them. Right now im running some Monroe shocks and the stock struts. The ride is very harsh and the car sits way too low for my taste. I thought it was going to be lowered the amount that was advertised but it dropped the front about 2 1/2" and the rear was dropped more than I thought. If your going with a high spring rate, your going to need to fork out the $$$ and get some koni's or bilsteins.

Once I get my motor taken care of , ill be working on the suspension and im thinking about coil overs for the front along with koni struts and shocks, although im still not 100% sold on the idea of coil overs.

Just remember, when lowering a car, the springs get stiffer and in order to keep the ride quality at a decent level, your going to need to spend extra money to get the quality parts that are needed.

Its always a good idea to get camber/caster plates. They can range anywhhere from $150 to $250 depending on which ones you get. I wouldnt worry about offset rack bushings and your probably going to need the bumpstop kit, or just trim your bumpstops alittle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts